For a lot of crafts, especially making pasta jewelry dyeing plain pasta is a great way to make it more exciting , and prettier. Also let’s face it if our kids are going to make us a necklace and expect us to wear it, we may as well choose the colors!
This is an adults only activity- the one time I did it with kids many many years ago, I had some very angry parents , their kid’s faces and clothes were red, purple and yellow for days. Live and learn!
- Gather your materials. You will need some water, white vinegar , food coloring , some bowls, pasta and paper towel.
- Put a little water ( I put about 2 table spoons) in your bowls and some food coloring in it. Add about a tablespoon of vinegar .
- Add Pasta- you just want to coat it, don’t let it soak long enough to get at all soft.
- Transfer the pasta to paper towel , mine is 4 layers deep. Stir them a bit on the paper so they don’t dry stuck to the paper towel. Let dry for 24 hours before using it for a craft. Also I like to test it for colorfastness before making anything, just in case .
- Oh and you might want to wear gloves, even after 10 years of doing thins I forget, and look! This is after 4 hand washings!
*** The same process can be used for rice too!