Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss !

Cat In The Hat
Hat !

Today is Dr. Seuss’ birthday,I am reposting this because today is the big day ! So grab your favorite silly book and celebrate one of the most important and influential individuals in children’s literature !

1. Gather your materials. You will need 2 large sheets of white paper, a paper plate, red paint, a large brush or sponge, glue, scissors and tape.
  2. Start by painting one of the paper red. We are using a large sponge to encourage lots of coverage. * If you have painters tape handy you can place it on the paper and paint over it, when you remove the tape you’ll have white stripes and you can skip steps 5 and 6. Don’t press too hard though, it will stick to paper.
  3. While your child paints cut the middle out of the paper plate.
  4. Paint the plate.
  5. While your child paints cut strips of paper from the 2nd piece.
  6. When the red paint is dry, add the glue.
  7. Add the strips ( in my case I did this because my son lost all interest in art when he started washing his hands… this is pretty common! )
  8. Make a tube with the paper, glue together, pop it in the paper plate to make sure it’s the right size.
  9. Attach the paper plate to one end by making small cuts in the paper and folding it onto the plate and taping it. This is tricky and use lots and lots of tape if you want the hat to last more than a few minutes.
  10. Pop it on !

Book!

I am only including one book because really all of Dr. Seuss’s books are worthy of praise, and children really do love the melodic and brilliant rhymes. I love that often you can’t quite tell if a character is a woman or a man, and they have no obvious race which makes them universal and inclusive. I love “Green Eggs and Ham” because of it’s limited wording , there are only 50 words used in the whole book, and easy rhymes make it a great choice for learning about rhyming. Also the words used are so simple that it’s a fabulous book for emergent readers.

Comments

1. jk says

Welcome back! As always, wonderful post! We just love the Cat In The Hat around here and also love dress up, so this would be perfect!

2. Carebear says

Hey, great craft! My little Beast loves Suess, and I didn’t know it was his bday this week. We’ll definitely try this in celebration! Thanks for letting us know!

3. Michelle says

What an excellent idea…we will definitely be making one of these hats to celebrate Dr. Seuss’s Birthday!! Thank you :0)

4. Amanda says

Thanks for the idea! I have been browsing the internet the past week looking for idea’s to celebrate Dr. Seuss Day! If you have a Target local they will be celebrating Dr. Seuss’ birthday on Sunday! As long as our impending snow storm isn’t too bad we will be heading out for the celebration!

5. Pink & Green Mama says

Yummy! We made rainbows with fruit loops cereal and rainbow necklaces on yarn – sugary yumminess! It’s a color lesson they won’t forget. I think we did it last year for ST Patricks day. Gold at the end of the rainbow.

6. Lori says

That’s great, thanks so much for sharing it before hand! I think my little girl will love doing this.

7. Stacy says

Thanks for your fun idea. I found it from The Crafty Crow. We did it today, and my 6-year old daughter wore it when we went out to eat tonight. We put in some yarn to tie under her chin so it would stay on.

I think I might try this for St. Patty’s Day and paint it green, adding a cookie cutter traced shamrock.

Thanks so much for sharing your creativity!

9. Ashlyn Brunson says

We will definitely be trying this for his 2011 b-day since we missed it this year. I also am doing it tomorrow, just to have a hat! Thanks so much for all your creativity, Allie!