Potato Masher Prints – Art Project For Toddlers

potato prints

I have done kitchen utensil painting before but never have they turned out so cute! I love these potato masher prints they are such an easy fun art project for toddlers.  I think what made the difference is that my son helps me mash foods and knows to go straight up and down which is very important for this project! This would make awesome home made wrapping paper too… possibly for Father’s Day.

1. Gather your materials. You will need some construction paper, a dish, a potato masher, and paint.
  2. Pour your paint in your dish
  3. Dip your masher in
  4. Print!
  5. Keep going with different colors- we made 3 sheets of prints.

* If you are going to make wrapping paper you can use old holiday wrapping paper, just print on the underside.

Comments

1. EntertainingMom says

Fun! I would cut them out and make a collage of sorts too… Hmm, now you've got me thinking…

I think they do too Bobbi!

Jessica I cant' wait to see how this evolves for you- I always love what you come up with!

3. Mama King says

I mentioned your blog and linked on my awards post. I highlighted new blogs I have discovered and really liked.

4. Jen says

Hmmm! I don't think I have a hand masher in my kitchen. I'm sure that there is something else that we could experiment with in there, though. That turns out neat.

Jen
    Creative and Creative Kids!

5. Michelle Sybert says

did you know I have looked high and low for a potato masher around here (vista,ca) and can't find one that doesn't cost a fortune? My Mother in law whom we live with doesn't own one….I guess I will have to keep hunting!

6. Karin Katherine says

We are so doing this today. I cannot remember when I last used my masher in the kitchen so I guess we are now going to break it out for our art!

7. shilps says

Hi Jessica,
    Just came across your blog 3 days back and I must say you are absolutely amazing! My son is 18 months old and I am ashamed to say that I haven’t tried any activity at all. Somehow it never worked out but now I am thinking of doing at least some inspired by you. Could you let me know if its okay to use any paint or is there any specific one that you use with a toddler. Thanks a lot in advance.

I use Crayola Kid Paint – it’s non toxic and while eating it is discouraged my son ingested a lot . I found the larger the tool to paint with ( like these mashers) the less ended up in his mouth. Good Luck!