Letter of The Week !

Jaguar J

Letter of the Week Lesson

My son really wanted to make a jaguar – as in the luxury car, for the letter of the week today,  but I have my limits.  I have no clue how to make a car look like a lowercase j. I need to take my own advice and remember that the act of creating and talking about the Jaguar j is the lesson, not if 40 out of 50 people can tell exactly what it is. As long as your child can you are golden!

1. Gather your materials. You will need 2 pieces of construction paper ( yellow and brown),small piece of red paper,  scissors, glue, googly eyes, and marker.Letter of the week Lesson
  2. Start by making a lower case j on your yellow paper.Letter of the week Lesson
  3. Have your child color the j if they want. I was very interested to watch my son write a j on it instead of simply scribbling. I love watching kids learning evolve.Letter of the week lesson
  4. While they do that cut out spots  and ears from the brown paper ( I used just a small strip from the top so I could still use the rest of it for the backing later.Lesson of the week
  5. Cut out a nose and mouth from the red paper.Letter of the week
  6. Add glue, maybe not as much as we did.Letter of the week Lesson
  7. Add your spots. Letter of the week
  8. Add the eyes,  nose , mouth and ears!Letter of the week
  9. Let dry.
  10. Cut out and glue onto the remaining brown paper. Letter of the Week Lesson

Books

Lisa in the Jungle by Anne Gutman made me giggle and my son really liked it to. It’s about Lisa who spent all summer at the pool instead of off on a wild vacation in the jungle. Lisa decides to ignore what she really did all summer and tell a tall tale to her classmates. It’s an endearing story because it’s told exactly the way a young child would tell such an outrageous story. My son loved the parts about stepping on sleeping crocodiles and feeding baby leopards. Jungle Party by Brian Wildsmith is a cautionary tale about a python and it’s tricky ways. In this book the jungle animals are tricked by a python into having a party with him, only to end up in his belly! Luckily a wise elephant is there to help and the animals get the last laugh. I liked this book although after about half way my wiggly 2 year old started loosing interest. I don’t think it’s the books fault, it’s just a little long for such a young audience. For slightly older kids this is a great book for making predictions about what will happen next.

Deep in the Jungle by Dan Yaccarino is a deceivingly deep book. While reading it to my son before nap today I was taken aback by how the Lion and the circus man in the book could be symbolic of so many historical and social things. However the surface story is about a Lion , the king of the jungle who is enticed out by a man who promises him a better life of fame in the big city. Soon the lion is in the circus, whipped, caged and with no power or fame. After eating the man and running back to the jungle he finds his subjects in cages as well. Although he was not a kind ruler before he saves his subjects from their captor. Seems all very heavy, but my son loved it. It is long and I was impressed he sat interested for the whole thing, he even said “Animals sad in cages!” proud moment for me!

Comments

I have a question for you. I know you like to practice child-led arts/crafts. Have you given any thought as to how this will work when you have two children? I ask both because I know you’re expecting a new baby (congrats!!!) and because I have a 5 year old and 3 year old (and a 7 month old who will be ready to “craft” before I know it!).
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..Today is the Section Anniversary =-.

I have thought about this a lot! For one thing my kids will be 3.5 years apart and my son already goes to preschool and will be in school much of the day before the little one has much of a voice. That said I have no issue finding compromises and look forward to brainstorming some very fun crafts that can be done one two levels. Having taught in classes with various abilities this is something I have done before and look forward to doing. It may not be super smooth but we’ll find a way to make it work.

The fun thing about crafts is they you can make the first few steps really simple- and extrapolate after. I think we will probably end up doing lost of basic crafts with twists on the end of my oldest. Does that make sense?

I am more worried the 2nd won’t like art at all! This blog may transform into one about sports ;)

2. JO says

Great craft!
    Can you please tell me:
    How do you store/organize for crafting supplies? Could you provide a photo of this?
    How do you store/dsiplay your son’s creations?

Thanks!

I display very little – relatively speaking. Most gets recycled pretty quick. The Letter of the week craft is displayed for the week on the fridge , some holiday ones are kept and packed away to decorate the following year but most gets put out to the curb pretty fast. I have pictures of everything and make photo books of it though.

Here is my art storage: http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2008/12/parents-corner.html

This is NOT what it looks like now- my art closet has seen better days ;)

There is actually. I do them as we are interested in things of that letter, this boosts the context an memorability of the lesson. Going in order won’t impede learning but making sure that kids know that letters are not always in alphabetical order is important too, but can be taught in a number of ways not exclusively by letter of the week lessons.

3. Kit says

Today I was looking at your website, and my son came into the room. We scrolled down the page and I let him pic which thing he would like to make. He was so excited about the j. Thanks so much!

I was looking for a letter j craft that would go with my idea of doing some books about the jungle. I found your craft through the ultimate alphabet craft collection at the attached mama. I love this little guy and when I called my girls in to look, they loved it too. Thanks for the book suggestions. I have a couple on hold but I can always use more. We will be making this today and I will be posting about it this weekend and linking back here.
    Blessings