Alphabet Cookies

It’s the process not the product right? Well it definitely was when we made these alphabet cookies. I swore I had cookie cutters but alas when I went to look for them they were MIA so we molded letters instead. The activity was a huge hit and a fun special treat. My son laughed with me when we checked on the cookies and they were unrecognizable. THey were still tasty and we still had fun with letters, so I say it was a success!

1. Gather your materials. You will need some cookie dough, a cutting board, knife and pan.
  2. Start by portioning out the cookie size for your child. Since I was using premade dough I just sliced it.
  3. Start creating.
  4. I got my son into making letters by making some and asking him to guess what they were then he made a few of  his own.
  5. We also made extra long ones that my son used the knife to cut to size. He loved this.
  6. Pop them on a tray.
  7. Bake – check on them and laugh hysterically – obviously less dough should have been used.
  8. Luckily the O ( my son’s initial) was still an O after I poked the middle a little and he enjoyed it at snack time!

Have fun with your creative time, take failures in stride and remember it’s the process not the product!

Comments

1. Merry Jo says

Maybe it didn’t work because you used sugar cookie dough? I’ve done this before with peanut butter cookie dough, and it’s great. In fact, you can play with it like play dough, making (flat) animals or whatever you want, and it keeps a pretty good shape when it bakes. Love your blog! :) I have a 2yo and 1yo who I’m going to start doing “school” with this year, and I’m so excited to get great ideas.

I did big cookies spelling out my son’s name + we decorated them with sprinkles to take to school for his birthday in preschool once. I have a recipe that I used that is specifically for making letter cookies (doesn’t rise/expand like yours did).

If you want it for future use, let me know and I’ll e-mail it to you.
    .-= Annie @ PhD in Parenting´s last blog ..Quotable- Unprofitable breasts =-.

Pretzels would be awesome! We’ve done peanut butter cookie dough too and it’s come out fairy well. We also did gingerbread cookies once where we rolled it out and cut it into shapes – triangles, squares, circles, etc. That worked pretty good, though the edges curl a little, wonder if you could cut strips to make the letters and then pinch together.
    Oh, lots of fun experiments. This would make a great first day of school treat for my daughter’s classroom!

4. Laura B. says

Very cute! I am sure making the letters was even more educational than using cookie cutters anyway! Oh and I have cookie cutters and the letters still don’t come out perfectly!

5. Kathy Zielinski says

I am no expert by any means, but I think I heard somewhere that you need to add flour to premade cookie dough and CHILL before popping into the oven. Once I try it, I’ll let you know if it works! Awesome activity though! I’ve been planning on doing this with our co-op soon. Thanks Allie :)

6. jennifer says

We are on day 2 of our first letter of the week session. We did A shaped pancakes this morning and I thought of you and your cookies :)