After reading Speakaboo’s Sleeping Beauty on our iPod with the MeMeTales Mobile Reader App I was inspired to make a fairy wand to go along with the fairies in the story. I wanted to show parents how easy a fun and very sparkly wand can be to make . I asked my son if he wanted to be a part of this craft and I got a resounding ” No.” Even after I suggested making it a Bat-wand he wasn’t convinced. So I made it myself and even though I have no need for a fairy wand i have to say I have been casting some awesome spells with it.
- Gather your materials. You will need some sticky back foam if it’s sparkly even better! You will also need a drinking straw ( milkshake ones work great), a pen or marker, scissors and curling ribbon.
- Start by drawing a butterfly ( or shape of your choice) on the backing of your foam.
- Cut out and use as a stencil for the other side. We used two different colors of foam but using the same is a great choice as well.
- Peel the back off the foam, press the straw into it.
- Sandwich the straw in between the foam.
- Add the ribbon.
- Curl the ribbon on the edge of the scissors blade ( adults only please).
- Now cast some stupendous spells!
As mentioned above the inspiration for this craft came from Sleeping Beauty by Speakaboos , which we actually listened to using our MeMeTales App instead of reading our selves which was a fun change of pace. Books are so versatile and reading, listening or playing with them are all ways to immerse your kids into a life long love of stories and the written word.
Add Your Craft
Do you have a fairytale inspired craft? Add it here :