Summer Reading Challenge 2011- Read & Win

Summer is here and it’s time to celebrate with some good books.  Last year we started a tradition of Summer Reading with our kids. This year we are counting up how many books we as a community can read, because reading is rad !  I will post reminders to fill in your tally sheet and at the end of the summer  ( August 26th)you will automatically be entered into a drawing for a $50 gift card from amazon.com so you can buy more books to share with your kids.

You may enter one tally sheet per week per household , read more books, get more chances to win! The tally sheet is your contest entry as well more than one entry per week per email will be discarded. The prize is fun but we all win when we  read with our kids.

I will be posting reminders every Saturday. The tally sheet weeks are as follows please only submit once per week period :

June 3-9th , 10th -16th , 17th- 23rd , 24th-30th

July 1st-7th , 8th-14th, 15th- 21st , 22nd-28th

July 29th – August 4th

August 5th-11th , 12th-18th , 19th -25th.

The winner will be drawn on the 26th of August.

So simple . So Important . So rad!

Fill Out Your Tally Sheet

Need some new book titles? Check out our book reviews.

I have had lost of requests for a printable – I am away so I haven’t had time to make one but this one from The Crafty Classroom is great !

Like this post? Share it with a friend!

Become an Email Subscriber

Sign up above and receive all new No Time for Flashcards posts directly in your email inbox.

You may also like these posts

reading puzzlesthe one thing you should do to help your kids learn to readword ladders literacy activity

36 Comments

fill one out for both kids . So if your 5 year old reads 30 books in a week and your 10 year old reads 10 chapters of a chapter book you may put 40 books on your weekly tally sheet for your household.

I was a bit patchy about keeping track last year with a brand new baby in the house (not sure how you do it), but this year maybe I’ll inlist the older daughter’s help with keeping track.
    We could have a high count this year as my almost 5 year old has started reading in earnest recently and is really running with it (this week she read the first chapter of the lion the witch and the wardrobe!!!), and the one year old is already getting books out of the boxes and flipping through them or bringing them to someone to read to her.

2. Kristi says

I love this idea and just printed out a ‘chart’ for my son and I to keep track. I LOVE you blog. Just a quick question though…what is a ‘week’ to you? Sunday – Saturday? Or Mon-Sun? I just want to make sure I enter everything correctly!

3. Erin K. says

I love this idea! I’m curious though.. In addition to normal fiction chapter books, my 7 year old loves non-fiction books, and also graphic novels. How do we count reading that doesn’t necessarily involve chapters? I’m assuming anyway that you don’t mind the comics.. we tend to encourage whatever kind of reading he feels most like. The 4 year old and the 2 year old are most still just read to, so those books will be fairly easy to tally. Thanks so much!

I want to do this with my 5 year old, but I’m confused about the tally sheet. Does the email address track it all? Do I enter once a week, or only at the very end, or can I do it every day? Do the books they read to her at preschool count? Help! I’m tally sheet impaired!

NO you aren’t tally sheet impaired at all.

I updated the post so now there are date periods outlined on the post, as long as you only submit the tally once per period you will be fine, if you miss one you can still add the books you forgot to submit for our grand tally but you will have one less chance to win the gift card. I am just limiting people to once a week so I don’t have people submitting 1 book read every day and end up with 65 entries . That way everyone has the same opportunity for the prize.

I would say the books at preschool do not count as this is supposed to be promoting literacy at home.

1. […] We are seeing how many books as a community we can read, so add yours and you will be entered into a drawing to win an Amazon.com gift card! In just over a week our readers have read more than 1200 books!! If you haven’t started submitting your tally, you are not too late join in any time. It’s never too late to start reading ( or reading more) with your kids. For all the details check out our announcement post. […]