Random Crafts Of Kindness – Memory Box

memory box craft to remember grandmaEver read a friend’s Facebook status update and wish you could reach right through your screen and hold them in a tight hug? When I read this one from my dear friend Tara a few weeks ago it made me wish I could do that.

Allie was playing with a balloon my mom gave her almost 2 years ago. “Do you know who gave this to you?” I asked her. She guessed Amanda, Amy, William, and Old Grandma. “No, your Grandma gave that to you.” I said. “My Grandma?” she replied. “Who’s my Grandma?”

Tara is a blogger and friend and in that update she is speaking about her three year old daughter Allie not remembering her grandma, Tara’s mom who lost her battle with cancer a few months ago. I can’t imagine losing my mom but I do know what it’s like to grow up not knowing my grandmother. I also know that my mom was able to let me get to know my grandma through pictures and other treasures that we kept in a trunk in the basement. I loved going through that trunk and feeling close to a woman I never met.

When this opportunity for a sponsored post with Consumer Crafts about making a craft as a random act of kindness came up the day after that Facebook update I knew who I wanted to try to bless. I wanted to make Tara’s daughters a memory box that they could open and dig through and feel close to their grandma just like I did as a young girl.  Maybe you have someone who you want to share with your kids, I can’t encourage you enough to make a memory box or something similar that your children can discover and get to know this person themselves.

memory box 2

You’ll Need:

All of the supplies totaled came to under $20

I wanted to surprise Tara with this but decided to contact her because I wanted to make sure that she was OK with me sharing her story and including it in a sponsored post. It gave me a chance to  find out more about her mom like what her favorite color was ( red) and that she loved flowers. It also let me ask for favorite photos to include which I poured over .  Love is everywhere in these photos.

Once all the supplies from Consumer Crafts arrived it only took 30 minutes to turn all these supplies into a special place for Tara and her girls to reconnect with her mom.

memory box 3

Start by painting the box inside and out. I chose silver because it was special but still a soft color. I used a sponge brush to get a light even coat. I only did one coat but do as many as you feel are needed for the color you want.

Next I used the glue gun to add the flowers. I have three flowers representing Tara , Grace and Allie.memory box 5

Next add on the rhinestones. I loved digging through my Gran’s jewelry as a little girl and hope that this box can feel a little like that for Grace and Allie.

I added more flowers on the inside of the box for extra flair.memory box 4

Once everything was dry I added some pictures too.

I will be sending this to Tara ASAP and hopefully in it’s own little way it will help her keep the memory of her mom alive for her precious girls.

Random-Crafts-of-Kindness-with-Consumer-Crafts

As stated this post is part of a paid campaign with Consumer Crafts and Blue Print Social.

You can catch up with Consumer Crafts on social media too.

Facebook     Twitter   Pinterest    Instagram     Blog

Comments

What a thoughtful gift, Allison! We have a photo book to remember people who are special to us, but the idea of a memory box is terrific. That way special trinkets and other memorabilia can also be placed in the box. I know your friend and her daughter will cherish this.

Oh, my dear friend. I can’t stop the tears. You are so kind and thoughtful, and I know we will treasure this forever. I hope I will someday have the chance to bless you as much as you’ve blessed me.

• Allison McDonald says

You read it before I could even send you the link. I am so glad you like it. M has been begging to dig through it so I hope that G & A feel the same way. I know it’s not much but I hope that you know it’s filled with love. It will be in the mail today <3 Oh and speaking about blessing, I hope you know how many times you have blessed me and my family.

3. Amanda Gerner says

I had to let you know, you have made a perfect memory box. I know my mother would have absolutely loved this box you made for my sister and her girls. Thank you for being such a kind person. The pictures in the post are some of our happiest times. This has been the hardest time in our lives. I read your post on my lunch break at work but I couldn’t hide the tears for your wonderful kindness. By the way, I think it is pretty neat you happened to post this today; it is my Dad’s 69th birthday. I will show him the post when I get home if he hasn’t already seen it.

• Allison McDonald says

Oh Amanda I am so glad you like it as well. Looking through all the pictures Tara sent me was a gift. I am so sorry for your loss and know that with such a great mom and aunt the girls will have so many memories of their Grandma to hold close in their hearts.

4. Melanie Schneider says

This came the day a special 7 year old friend of my daughter buried her dad. I was trying to think of something special I could do for her…. This is perfect, thank you.

• Allison McDonald says

I am so sorry to hear that. I have a 7 year old and it breaks my heart to think of him without his dad. I hope she finds a little measure of peace with memories in the box.

5. Brooke says

Thank you for the wonderful idea as your post came just days before my daughters lost their grandmother . Even though I have just given them and my nephew their boxes today after the service you could see the appreciation and gratitude to have something tangible to hold onto.