- Gather your materials. You will need 3 pieces of construction paper, some markers scissors and glue.
- Start by giving your child a piece of construction paper to draw on. Older children can draw flames, or a fire engine or perhaps a construction site. Little ones can just explore with markers. My son drew legs. Don’t ask- another recent obsession.
- While they color, draw a large L with the red paper. Add a some legs on either end of the L.
- Cut some rungs out of the black paper.
- Cut the L out and glue it on the drawing when your child is ready. For us that was about 30 minutes after he finished drawing since he needed a break to play with is firetrucks. This is normal, I just go with it, he always comes back sooner or later.
- Add the glue to the L for the ladder.
- Add the rungs.
- Let dry!
I’m a big red firetruck, firetruck, fire truck!
I’m a big red firetruck , I come to the rescue!
My lights flash on and off, on and off on and off!
My lights flash on and off to say I’m on the way!
My ladders stretch way up high, way up high, way up high!
My ladders stretch way up high, up to the sky!
My hoses spray the water out, water out, water out!
My hoses spray the water out , until the fire’s gone!
” Fire Engines” by Anne Rockwell is the current favorite at our house. I found it at a thrift store for twenty five cents and I am definitely getting much more than my moneys worth! It’s a cute book with easy text and cute cartoon dalmatians as fire fighters. I particularly love that there is a fire boat in the book since we often see those around here. Cute book for fire engine lovers!
My bathroom was starting to look like Costco with old diaper boxes, so I decided to make something useful. It took me less than 30 minutes and my son is in love with his ” Ning ning ning” which is his word for fire truck. Here is the how to!
- Gather your materials. You will need an empty diaper box or other cardboard box, some glue or double stick tape, some colored paper and heavy duty scissors.
- Cut the flaps off the top of the box and lay it on it’s side. Cut a seat sized hole in the top for your child to slide into. You will want to either cover the edges with masking tape or do what I did and just bend them in so the cut edge isn’t so sharp.
- Get some colored paper or if you feel ambitious ( I didn’t) some white paper and cover the box. I used double stick tape because I was in a hurry and my son was climbing on the hearth, but there is no reason you couldn’t glue it. I just cut the paper in the shape of a fire truck- and if you click on the picture you will see that I simply layered it in places.
- Cut or paint some wheels , stick them on.
- To make the ladder I took a piece of paper and folded it lengthwise.
- I cut several slits in it, on the folded side not going all the way through.
- Then cut between them to make gaps in the ladder, glue it on.
* There is no reason kids can’t help making it but this was how I did it for my little guy who is only 15 months. With older kids i would have had them help make the lights, wheels, or even just covered it in white paper and let them at it with some red and black paint!
Need some Fire Truck Books ? Check these Emergency Vehicle Books out .