I am not a big meat eater, but somehow my son is a huge carnivore. He has recently discovered hot dogs and I feel like it may be the end of healthy eating as I once knew it. That or I’ll go broke buying the organic nitrate free ones! Either way I explained we were taking a break from eating hot dogs but that we could make one for art time today. Here is what we did!
- Gather your materials. You will need a brown paper grocery bag ( or other paper) , a brown or black marker, some glue, red and yellow paint, scissors and ketchup and mustard containers. You could use real ones but the beauty of these are that they are solid , washable and kids can’t see that there is only a tiny bit of paint in them. Since there is so little the mess will be manageable.
- Pour the red paint into the ketchup bottle and yellow into the mustard. I thinned it out a little.
- Cut off a large piece from your grocery bag, and draw a bun and a sausage.
- Cut them apart.
- Glue the sausage to the bun.
- Add your condiments. Ignore my impromptu strap in the picture!
- Let dry and cut out.
I’m a little hot dog
here’s my bun
Put me on the grill
until I’m done
Add some mustard
take a big bite
and gobble me up!