- Gather your materials. You will need 2 pieces of construction paper, some paint ( we used roller paints because it had been a while, but use whatever you feel like, crayons or markers work too! ) , some sticky back foam, scissors and a marker.
- Start by drawing an uppercase K on one piece of paper.
- Next draw some keys on the back paper of the sticky foam. Do not worry about perfection, as long as your child can tell they are keys you are a ok.
- Cut out
- Invite your wee one to come and decorate the K, ask them what letter it is and if they are at the stage where they are starting to learn sounds, see if they know the sound. Be relaxed , at this stage we are introducing and exposing kids to this not testing them. There is no pressure and if this causes anxiety in your child – drop it. They have lots of time for school pressure , let’s keep learning fun as long as we can!
- Hand your child the keys and let them play with them, while the paint dries. We pretended we were robots and needed the keys to power up and power down.
- When the K is dry cut out and glue onto the 2nd piece of paper.
- Peel off the backing , and stick the keys onto the K.
Letter Discovery Box
- Gather your materials. You will need 2 foam sheets ( construction paper is a fine alternative) , some glue, sequin, glitter , scissors and a pen.
- Draw a big K on one of the foam sheets.
- Cover the K in glue .
- Add sequins ( proud mama side note- he didn’t eat a single sequin! You may notice glue on his lips though..one thing at a time.)
- While your child is doing this step draw and cut out a crown in a contrasting color foam, add some glue to it.
- If you dare, cover it ( and possibly your child and kitchen) in glitter.
- Let everything dry.
- Cut out the K
- Glue the K onto a piece of construction paper and glue the crown on.
The Grand old Duke of York!
The Grand old Duke of York,
he had 10000 men,
he marched them up to the top of the hill,
and he marched them down again!
When they’re up they’re up,
and when they’re down they’re down,
and when they’re only half way up,
they’re neither up nor down !
* I normally sing this one time fast, then slow then super fast !