- Gather your materials. All you need is a glass jar and somewhere to discover nature!
- Start finding things to put in your jar. My son thought this clam shell was pretty cool but it was too big! I like to put a layer of sand or grass in first and then put larger things on top. With older children I would set out a mini scavenger hunt ( find 3 rocks, 5 leaves, 4 shells…) , toddlers will have a blast just picking things up and popping them in the jar.
- I tried to find all different shells, pointing out what color they were to my son, but he was more interested in rocks! Still I was shocked how well he walked along the beach searching for rocks to pop in!
- Keep going until the whining or in our case the rain starts.
- Pop the lid on and take the nature home with you to recount your day later!
* Recounting an activity is a great thing to do with your child, it is actually a very important skill and is important for early literacy , so sit down even with toddlers and pull out your jar and talk about what you did at the beach/park !