- Gather your materials. You will need 3 pieces of construction paper, one for the base and 2 bright orange for the hair. Some yarn, scissors, a pencil, glue and a hole punch.
- Start by drawing a beard on the paper, I put it up to my face and measured from ear to ear.
- Cut out .
- For the hair you want to cut the orange construction paper into strips
- Roll them tightly around the pencil to make a curl.
- Glue them to the beard, starting at the bottom
- Keep going
- Let dry
- Punch holes for the yarn
- Add the yarn for the ties
- put it on !
- Gather your materials. You will need a brown grocery bag, some markers, scissors, tape and valentines stickers. I am using sticker since they are toddler friendly- you can use paper shapes and glue too but my little man wanted to play before nap time so stickers it was!
- Cut the bag open so it’s long, and draw a line with hearts for the crown. Make sure to make it longer than needed , it will make the crown sturdier if there it extra.
- Invite your child to come and use markers ( paint or crayons work too) to color their crown.
- When they are done bring out the stickers, I hide them until the first step is done so that my son doesn’t sit there begging for them while he is coloring.
- Peel and stick!
- Cut out the crown.
- Measure the crown on your child’s head and tape. I prefer tape or staples because it’s instant and we play right away!
Imaginative play is crucial, it allows your child to test out and use skills they observe all day long. They also learn new words, use math skills , tap into their imagination and so much more. Our grocery store took me 5 minutes to set up and we played with it for ages! Using real food seems to make it extra special, but play food will work just fine.
- Gather your materials. You will need some food from your pantry and /or fridge, a cart or basket, a bag to put your purchases in, some play money and something that can be turned into a register. We used a stool, with a plate and some red paper to make a “scanner”.
- Get your money and grab a basket!
- Start Shopping !
- Time to Pay!
Have fun and remember how important play is!
My bathroom was starting to look like Costco with old diaper boxes, so I decided to make something useful. It took me less than 30 minutes and my son is in love with his ” Ning ning ning” which is his word for fire truck. Here is the how to!
- Gather your materials. You will need an empty diaper box or other cardboard box, some glue or double stick tape, some colored paper and heavy duty scissors.
- Cut the flaps off the top of the box and lay it on it’s side. Cut a seat sized hole in the top for your child to slide into. You will want to either cover the edges with masking tape or do what I did and just bend them in so the cut edge isn’t so sharp.
- Get some colored paper or if you feel ambitious ( I didn’t) some white paper and cover the box. I used double stick tape because I was in a hurry and my son was climbing on the hearth, but there is no reason you couldn’t glue it. I just cut the paper in the shape of a fire truck- and if you click on the picture you will see that I simply layered it in places.
- Cut or paint some wheels , stick them on.
- To make the ladder I took a piece of paper and folded it lengthwise.
- I cut several slits in it, on the folded side not going all the way through.
- Then cut between them to make gaps in the ladder, glue it on.
* There is no reason kids can’t help making it but this was how I did it for my little guy who is only 15 months. With older kids i would have had them help make the lights, wheels, or even just covered it in white paper and let them at it with some red and black paint!
Need some Fire Truck Books ? Check these Emergency Vehicle Books out .