Are you ready to break our record? Because that is what we will do this summer. We are going to break our own record we set in 2011 of 29,117 books read and read 30,000 books from now until August 31st 2013! We can do this. We HAVE to do this.
How it works :
1. Read. You can read to your kids or if your kids can read they can read to you or independently. It all counts!
2. Come here and fill in how many books or chapters you have read per family. Just enter the number no need to write out titles. You may enter no more than once per day or you can use our tally sheet printable and track your books read and enter less frequently. We count complete chapters as equal to one picture book because we want to celebrate all readers and know that chapter books can take a long time to complete.
3. Every time you enter your books and /or chapters you will be automatically entered into our Summer Reading Challenge Sweepstakes.
What You Can Win
1. Monthly Book Prize Packs ! On June 15th, July 15th and August 15th I will draw an entry and that person will win a prize pack to say thanks for participating. The books will be chosen based on age of the children in the winning family. Each will contain 4- 6 books handpicked by me based on your child’s age and reading level. The prize packs are worth approximately $20 each.
2. Grand Prize $50 Amazon.com Gift Card to buy books, craft supplies or a pair of cute boots for the fall ! I will draw one winner from all the entries on September 1st 2013 using random.org
The real prize is reading with your children!
Q: If I have more than one child do I enter the number of books we read as a family or do separate entries for each child?
A: Please enter as a family. So if you have 2 kids that read 4 books each enter 8 books for that day.
Q: Can I do this if I am doing other Summer Reading Challenges?
A: Absolutely! I highly encourage you to participate in ones at your local library and Scholastic’s Summer Challenge too!
Q: If I forget to enter my books for one day can I add them the next?
A: You can add your book tally as often as once per day or as infrequently as you like. Some people add them in big chunks others a little at a time. All we ask is that you do not add them more than once per day.
Q: If my child reads the same book 10 times in one day do I count it as one or ten?
A: TEN! We know that kids love to re read their favorites and this is all about enjoying reading so if they enjoy the same book ten times more power to them! It counts as 10.
Q: Who is sponsoring this? Are you getting paid for this?
A: I am sponsoring it. I look forward to this all year long and am excited that I can add a few more prizes this year. No company or publisher has any part in it.
Q: My child is not reading yet does it count if I read to them?
A: 100% yes! Most of our readers are parents with children who are not reading independently yet. This challenge is all about getting families to read. Children do not need to be reading solo yet to participate. If you read a book to your baby that counts too! We want to get families to make reading a habit and have fun doing it.Official Rules This sweepstakes is open to American residents 18 years or older. To be eligible for the sweepstakes you must fill out this form as stated above. 3 winning participators ( 1 per month) will be drawn at random, using Random.org on June 15th , July 15th and August 15th by 8pm PST on that day . The winner will receive a book pack prize valued at approximately $20. Grand Prize : 1 winning participator will be drawn at random, using Random.org, after the sweepstakes closes on September 1st 2013 at 8:00pm PST. The winner will receive a $50 Amazon.com gift card valued at approximately $50. After the winners are notified he or she has 48 hours to respond with their email address to send the prize to,or another winner will be chosen at random. No purchase necessary.The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Any information gathered through the sweepstakes including email and postal addresses will not be used in anyway other than contacting winners and shipment of winnings. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.