Today is Flag Day and instead of sitting inside and crafting stars and stripes we are running and searching all over our yard for them. This Flag Day activity for kids is as simple as it gets but fits perfectly with the special day. After playing we talked about the flag, it’s evolution and what flags are for. I plan on repeating this many times leading up to 4th of July as well.
- Gather your materials. You will need a container and some flags. We got everything at the dollar spot at Target and as far as I know it’s all still there! We have 8 flags and a tin bucket.
- Hide the flags around your yard. I just pushed mine right into the ground.
- Gather your search party. I explained it was not a race that they are working together against the clock. This turns my super competitive 6 year old into a supportive team player and gives my daughter a chance to participate at a more equal level.
- Go! I used my phone to time although really they didn’t care about the time they just liked the hunt.
- I spaced the flags out a lot. I wanted them to run as much as possible .
- As they returned the flags to the bucket I had them count and my son figure out how many more we needed to find. See what I did there? Throwing in a little bit of math.
- All in all it took three minutes and 43 seconds to find all 8 flags. Clearly I need to hide them better …. or give fewer hints.
If an inside activity is really what you are after check out these Patriotic Crafts.