Blast those darn piggies with water balloon Angry Birds! Inspired by the mega popular video game Angry Birds this takes the game outside into the sun for fun all summer long.
Earlier this year we featured a post by contributing writer Kim about playing Real Life Angry Birds. Well because of that post I finally downloaded the game and have been not so shamefully in love with the game ever since. When the sun finally came out I knew we needed to adapt Kim’s post into something for outside in the sun. So of course we needed to include water balloons and a little art too! To say we had fun would be the understatement of the century- this was incredibly awesome.
- Gather your materials. You will need some water balloons, a permanent marker ( optional) and some washable sidewalk chalk . The washable chalk obviously comes off when hit with a few balloons so it’s great for this activity. You may also want a bag or bowl to rest your balloons in so that they aren’t on the pavement where they may pop.
- Start by filling your balloons.
- Carefully add angry faces with the permanent marker.
- Draw your pigs ( if you aren’t familiar with the game these piggies are your targets). I did the green, he did (some) blue!
- Get ready to smash those pigs! This can also be a lesson in sizes .
- Get those bad pigs!
- Keep blasting . Between balloons I would pretend to tweet a whistle and announce ” Clean Up Crew – Time Out!” then quickly retrieve all the pieces of each water balloon. Please be sure to dispose of them carefully, and keep them out of your children’s reach as deflated balloons are unsafe for kids. We used neon balloons so the bright colors would be easy to spot.
- We kept going back to make more “birds”.
- At the end of the game I had my son be the final cleaning crew looking for balloon pieces.