When I was going through past posts for my Letter B Theme post last week I saw my frozen banana treats tutorial and got an idea to make them into ghosts for a healthy-ish Halloween treat. They were super easy to make, I can’t make a successful cake pop if my life were on the line, but these ghosts on a stick are simple. Please note that the jelly beans especially when frozen can be a choking hazard , please take off and let thaw before serving it to a child.
- Gather your materials ( or rather ingredients). You will need bananas ( 3 medium cut in half), 3/4 lb of white chocolate chips, table spoon of butter, 6 popsicle sticks, microwavable bowl, baking dish and 12 black jelly beans. Also you will need wax paper for the dish, I was out and my baby was sleeping so I used non stick spray and it worked but wax paper would be better.
- Start by cutting the bananas in 2 .
- Push a popsicle stick into the bananas.
- Pour your chips into a microwavable bowl, add the butter and melt. What worked for me was to do 30 seconds, stir, 30 seconds, stir, 20 seconds and stir. Watch it carefully it burns easily.
- Dip and cover the bananas with the white chocolate.
- Place in the pan ( on wax paper or non stick spray), and add the jelly beans for eyes.
- Freeze .2 hours was perfect for us, bananas weren’t rock hard.
- Serve. Don’t forget about the jelly beans, pop them off and let thaw before eating.
yummy, I’m definitely doing this with the kids!
Maybe you could use mini-chocolate chips for the eyes? Would they be less of a choking hazard because they melt?
Definitely! I was amazed at how hard the jellybeans got .
Allie, that looks great! I’m thinking I can also use raisins for eyes…maybe not as much of a choking hazard? Although the raisins would be frozen, but they might thaw faster. Anyway, thanks for this idea. I think I may make them for Ronen’s class on Friday!
yes good thinking Amelia, little healthier too !
Zombie Mom Comics says
I bet raisins for the eyes would work (and be much safer). Maybe apply them with some leftover chocolate or peanut butter after the freezing stage? This is cute!
Jenae @ I Can Teach My Child says
Very cute! We tried these bananas a while back (with regular chocolate) and they were a big hit. 🙂
Oh, man. I totally have to make these. Thanks so much for the recipe!
I am awful at melting chocolate.
So… I just took regular choc chips and stuck them in the bananas as eyes. Not nearly as fun as choc-dipped, but my 4y/o will take Banana popsicle ghosts to school so it’s all good 🙂 .
So cute, I can’t wait to try this!
Yum! Great and easy festive idea! Thanks!
Cathy West says
I made these last year, but instead of rolling them in white chocolate – I simply rolled then in coconut and piped little chocolate icing eyes – they were FAB!! A super, healthy treat :O)