Can I stress again how important free art is for kids? What the heck is free art you ask ? Creativity without an agenda , although I shaped the paintings into leaves for fall, the activity was very much child directed. He choose out of a basket of 5 brushes which to use, and the paint colors too. Also throughout the week I offer him paint, crayons and his favorite; pens with simple paper to create. Kids need this freedom to develop their creativity and hopefully a passion for art!
- Gather your materials. For free art with a toddler I offered crayons or paint, a variety of brushes and I chose the paper , which in our case was a grocery bag. With an older child I would provide more choices.
- Allow your child to decide which paint color to start with
- Start painting with the brush of choice.
- Add another color, brown was our winner, too bad on brown paper it doesn’t show up well. Resist overriding your child’s decisions even if green would have looked better, he chose brown so brown it was.
- Let dry and cut into a fun shape if your child wants !