Halloween Books!

Scary Good Books !

I am posting this now so there is some hope that my readers will be able to find these books in their local library before they are all snatched up!

” Monster Math” by Anne Miranda is a fun math lesson turned into a fun and entertaining storybook. You can simply read the book or you can have your little mathematician help you guess how many new monsters arrive and leave on each page. The illustrations are adorable and even if the math skills are above your toddler or preschoolers heads they will still enjoy the book.
” Inside a House That Is Haunted” by Alyssa Satin Capucilli was the hands down favorite Halloween book for my 3 year old class in 2005. I must have read this 200 times and even after Christmas had come and gone it was still requested all the time. The story is a rebus read along, so it is repetitive and it builds upon itself. This is great for children who are eager to “read along” before they are able to read words. The repetitiveness allows them to anticipate what is next and feel included. Very cute even after reading it hundreds of times.

” 10 Trick – or Treaters by Janet Schulman was the book I bought to try and eclipse ” Inside a House That Is Haunted” and while my class loved this one two my plan didn’t quite work out. This book has the most adorable pictures and in every page there is an owl hidden somewhere, which is a great trick to keep reluctant readers involved. The story counts down from 10 to no trick or treaters with fun rhyming text and a fun array of trick or treaters in cute costumes.

Comments

1. Amy says

Thanks for posting these early! I’m always searching for recommended holiday reads, but by the time people post, they’re all taken. I’m first in the cue at my library. Wahoo!

2. Tami says

Thanks for the reviews! I’m going to take a look for these right now. We have plans to go to the library after school today to find some books for our fall reading basket (you can read more about the basket on my blog).

3. Liz says

Hi!

I wanted to let you know that although I harbor fears about missing the craft window…You have definitely inspired me to be more creative with a portion of our day.

Thanks!

4. Liz says

Also…I totally did not mean to be insulting. I hope that I didn’t offend you with the clean pj’s observation. I just noticed the shot with the glue bottle in the mouth from this week. It made me feel a little better, because that is where my little one would have his!

All is well Liz I was more worried about making another mom feel bad, I think moms need each other. I will do you a favor though and try to remember to take more pictures of the mess my little monster makes :)

We checked out several of these from the library. By far “10 Trick-or-Treaters” was the favorite! Cute rhyming and repetition. My little one loved it! Thanks again for the list.