Acorn Craft For Toddlers

My love of all things autumn continues with this ripped paper acorn. This is a cute craft that can be adapted easily for various ages. We used markers but paint or crayons would work well too.

1. Gather your materials. You will need 2 pieces of construction paper, a brown paper bag, a darker brown and light brown marker / crayon or paint, and glue.
  2. Have your child color half of the brown paper bag with the dark brown, then the other half with the lighter brown.
  3. While your child is coloring draw the outline of an acorn on a piece of construction paper.
  4. Start ripping. Rip the colored paper bag into small pieces, keep the two colors in separate piles. Little ones may need help ripping the paper if it’s thick, I had to get the rips started for my son.
  5. Add the glue to the bottom half of the acorn. As you can see my little guy doesn’t always follow my directions!
  6. Glue on the ripped pieces.
  7. Repeat with the top half. You want a lot of glue so that no matter where your child places the paper it will stick.
  8. Let dry
  9. Cut the acorn out and glue to the 2nd piece of construction paper.

Books!

” Leaf Jumpers “ by Carole Gerber is a beautifully illustrated , informative book that all all about leaves in autumn. It’s not the most exciting book but is a good teaching resource and tool when you are teaching your child about the changing seasons. I can’t say this is a must read, but it’s useful and worth a look at your local library.
” T is for Touchdown : A Football Alphabet” by Brad Herzog is a beautiful book that will delight even those of us who are never happy to see football season start. I admit even being an anti fan this book was fun and really full of information that even a football scrooge like myself can appreciate. Also it’s easy to read simply the letters and look at the pictures for little ones and has genuinely interesting blurbs for each page for older children.” Every Season ” by Shelly Rotner is a keeper. The text is simple, but the pictures really capture all the wonderful things that each season brings to make up a whole year. The photographs can be used as ice breakers about things children love about each season, are looking forward to or even don’t like. Either way this book is full of possibilities.

Comments

1. MamaFeelgood says

Just wanted to let you know that I found your blog about a week ago and am feeling so inspired. My little one is 2 and just starting to understand so much. We are definitely doing this craft and the leaf spiral this weekend.
    BTW…he loves watching you sing.

2. melanie says

This is sooo cute! We found some acorns in our back yard today and my toddler was soooo excited. This craft would be a perfect follow up!

And what is it with eating glue? My toddler just can’t get enough of it.

Mamafeelgood and Professionalmommy- Thank you!

Melanie- I don’t know what it is about glue that is oh so tasty! My son loves paint and markers too!

Jennifer- I try alphabetize my books, and of course never have time to do all of them, and by the time I get to the 2nd shelf the first shelf is all messed up again.

Hey Linds! Yeah my little man is all into pumpkins and acorns too. We were at Pier I today and you would have thought I took him to the zoo he was so excited checking out all the fall decor! It’s a plus that it smells good and was free to go too.

5. Brad Herzog says

Hey, thanks so much for the kind words about T is for Touchdown. I’m the author, and I love the book, too! Check out my website — http://www.bradherzog.com — I also have alphabet books about soccer, baseball, golf, stock car racing, extreme sports and (coming in Oct. 2008) the greatest moments in sports history (A is for Amazing Moments).

6. Angela says

saw this from The Crafty Crow. my middle child LOVES to shred paper – i will definitely do this craft with her!

7. amy d says

I found your website last night and I can’t wait to get started on some of these projects My son is 3 and attends a Montessori school. I love how you give pictures of all the steps and the book ideas!
    Thanks!

8. admin says

Can you tell he nursed forever too? My child and his oral fixations. I think , think we might have turned a corner… let’s hope!

Glad you liked it, it’s one of my all time favorites.