- Gather your materials. You will need bananas, baking chocolate ( for 4 treats I used .25 lbs) , butter , popsicle sticks, wax paper, a dish and a freezer!
- Start by peeling your bananas , cutting them in half and insert the popsicle sticks.
- For every .25 pound of chocolate or chocolate chips, add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to make it easier to spread. Melt . I put it in the microwave for 20 seconds, stirred it and then another 20.
- Ooops have we been learning anything? If you want you can have your little one “taste” the bowl, ask them how it tastes, I think my son liked it!
- Spread over bananas and put them in the freezer.
- Let set
Taste & Smell Activity
- Make a chart- simple or big depending if you are doing this for one child or a class. On the chart list ( pictures for preschoolers, written words for school agers) 3-5 flavors of food ice cream, yogurt, and jelly bellies have all worked well for me. Make sure the flavors are simple like strawberry, lemon, vanilla etc…
- In identical cups put the food to taste.
- Have your child smell the first cup, ask them to predict the flavor- choosing from the chart’s list. Make a note of their prediction.
- Have them taste it. Ask them if they want to switch the prediction or keep it as is.
- Reveal the flavor.
On paper this seems very simple but it’s fun and a fun way to learn about taste and smell as well as introducing young children to the process of a real science experiment !