Best of 2008 Count down ! #2

Candy Mold
Crayons

I had a blast making these crayons and by the sounds of it so have many of you. Aren’t they easy? For Christmas I bought some super cheap silicone muffin tins at the dollar spot at Target and they turned out great and eliminated one step, which is always a plus!I wasn’t the least bit surprised that this activity came in at number 2 on our best of 2008! Hmmm what will be number 1? Tune in tomorrow!

1. Gather your materials. You will need some crayons ( about 4-5 per mold), an oven , disposable muffin liners, and a candy mold. I bought this candy mold from Micahel’s for less than $2 !
  2. Take the paper off the crayons, and break them into smaller pieces. Place them in a muffin tin . * Some readers have had the wax bleed thogh the liners, foil liners will avoid this.
  3. Melt. Our oven was set at 220, and we watched it like a hawk with the oven door a lot. It will smoke if it’s too hot.
  4. Pour into the mold and let sit for an hour or until it’s cool. I used a cookie rack under the mold to keep it stable.
  5. Pop out of the mold.
  6. Get drawing !

Comments

1. sandy says

These were one of my favorites for sure! They are great to make for every season, holiday, etc.

I can’t wait to see what number one is:)

Happy New Year!

2. Mommy Toy says

What temp do you put the oven on to the melt them? I think this is such a great idea. I’m going to make them to use for my DD’s b-day goodie bags.

3. Erin says

Does this work with washable crayons? That’s all we keep in the house these days… after the wall incident of 2008. Need I say more?

Mommy Toy – I did them at 220? On my oven with the door opening and closing a LOT. They melt fast so watch them pretty much the whole time.

Erin – I will try them out and see, it will be interesting if the “washable” element is lost while melting them back down.

5. Shana says

if I use shaped candy molds for the crayons, are the molds then unfit for using with chocolate for lollipops?? I want to make these for my daughters’ birthday party!

6. me says

Love this idea. My mom used to do something similar to this when I was little. We would collect all the broken crayons and put them in the muffin tins and melt them down, but we liked to put all different colors together so when they hardened you had a circle of multiple colors and when you would draw with them, the color was constantly changing. My little girl loves it! Just thought I’d share!

Shana – sorry it’s taken so long for me to get back to you I just got back from vacation. I would do the chocolate first then the crayons. Even though they are non toxic there is often some residue left in the tray. Or you can simply use half of the molds for crayons only and the other half for candy.

We have done the muffin tin ones too, a reader shared it with me and it’s been a slippery slope of crayon making in our house ever since!

8. Anonymous says

I tried these today with my kids and they thought it was great! A low temp suggested in the instructions would be great as I had it to high at first. Kids got to hear the smoke alarm! I also found the liners didn’t absorb all the wax away from the muffin tin. Will need to clean it really well or get a new tin. I used a mixture of brands but I found the crayola gave the best color as the cheap dollar store ones were not very colored.

9. jillytacy says

We always save the crayons that you get at restaurants so we can recycle them into muffin tin crayons. Wow, candy molds, what a great idea! I have a bunch of these candy molds that would be perfect. I never thought of using candy molds for crayon making. Thanks for the inspiration!

10. BEE says

I am making these as I type for my son’s 4th birthday party tomorrow. Thank you for sharing another great idea!! I just love your blog!

11. BEE says

Just finished and they turned out so cute! I used a train mold for a Thomas bday party.

The only problem I had was when I dumped the contents of the muffin pan on the oven door. Luckily, the wax poured down the inside of the door which was hot and so clean up wasn’t so bad.
    Thanks again!!

12. Nancy says

Thank you again for your wonderful blog, and for this fun and easy craft idea. We made some yesterday and they were a big hit with my 3 and 5 year old!

13. Dani B says

Thank you for such great ideas! I love this and the idea of using these for birthday parties is very cool! Even, with supervisions, kids can make these at the party, if you have time. And I was just about to toss a ton of candy molds out! Thanks again!

14. Jennifer says

How in the world do you pick up the muffin liner with hot was and pour it into the candy mold? I love this idea but I'm really stuck at this point. I think I would spill it all over the place and burn my hands.

Mine stayed cool- it did take being careful but I wasn't burnt at all. I know others have used cans and a oven mitt though.