Snow Globe Snowman Craft For Kids

snowman craft for preschool

I love snowmen and am so excited that my 2 year old seems to share this love. Snowmen are great because they aren’t attached to one religious tradition or specific culture. This craft is a easy and relatively mess free way to add sparkles to your holiday decor. Have fun making this snowman craft for kids with this easy tutorial.

1. Gather your materials. You will need a paper plate, some orange and black construction paper, 2 buttons, some sequins, sparkles, contact paper, scissors, double stick tape, a stapler, and some ribbon. I also used some paint because my son wanted to paint and I like how it looks but you can skip this step if you want.
  2. Have your child paint the paper plate, and let dry. If you use a sponge paint brush the paint will go on lightly and dry fast.
  3. While they do that cut out a nose from the orange paper, a hat and some coal for the mouth.
  4. Cut a rectangle of contact paper and fold in half , make sure it’s big enough to cover the hole you will be cutting in the plate.
  5. Peel back the contact paper backing and let your child shake the sparkles on it.
  6. Add some sequins.
  7. Fold the contact paper so it sandwiches the sparkles , seal it. You may have to use some tape to make sure it’s sealed and nothing falls out.
  8. Cut out the middle of the plate.
  9. Add glue to the cutout middle for the coal mouth, nose and hat. Obviously older kids can do this themselves but it gives toddlers a great guide to be independent.
  10. Add the face pieces.
  11. Add the button eyes.
  12. While your child is adding the face pieces , attach the contact paper to the inside of the paper plate ring, I used double stick tape cause it holds contact paper well.
  13. Staple the face to the belly, I use staples with coated paper plates because glue doesn’t always work very well.
  14. Add the ribbon as a scarf to cover the staples.

Snow Books

Here are a few cute books about snow that pair well with this craft. All book suggestions include affiliate links.

The Mitten by Jan Brett is visually impeccable, each page is so full of details that you will find yourself staring at them long after you have read the words. The story is about a little boy who looses a mitten and what happens next. It’s a sweet retelling of a Ukrainian folk tale but the detailed and layered illustrations really steal the show!

Birthday Snow by Kim Messinger and Michael LaLumiere is such a sweet book about believing in something even when all the facts say maybe you should give up. Daniel doesn’t give up hope waiting for the snow to come on his birthday , but who really steals the show is his mom and her continued support of her little guy and his determination. A very cute book and a new addition to my must buy list!

Comments

1. kidletsmum says

As always, this is super cute. Now I can’t wait for my mom to get here with paper plates so we can try it out!

2. [email protected] says

Oh how fun! And the love the look of concentration on his face. =) I’ll be linking.

3. Melissa says

I LOVE it! I’m always looking for new craft ideas for my 2 year old. He’s going to be so excited to make this! Thank you for sharing!

4. Anonymous says

My wife loves this web page, especially your music selection. I usually have to raise the volume because I also enjoy your music selection. Thanks.

5. Kim says

Great idea!!You can also use a page protector instead of contact paper. After filling his belly with faux snow and glitter and whatever else you want, seal up the top with packing tape and tape it inside of the paper plate. That way the snowglobe fillings will move around when the kids shake them. Thank you! Def on my winter craft to do list!

6. Emily says

Really love this, but just a heads up that they are attached to a specific culture, mostly European and american as in most of the southern hemisphere it does not snow at Christmas and here in Australia we do not associate snowmen with Christmas.

• Allison McDonald says

You are right I should have said they aren’t attached to a specific religious tradition. Of course there are no snowmen at Christmas during the summer!

• Allison McDonald says

Similar. A page protector is a thin clear sleeve you can slide a page into to protect it much like lamination.

7. ALISHA says

I was thinking that a sand witch baggie would work better, in terms of letting the glitter and sprinkles move around. I would definitely make sure the baggie was secure and then put clear packaging tape over the seal. I would probably fold the seal down and tape it again. I used the baggie method several years ago to make these squeeze bags with my class. They had shaving cream and hair gel, glitter and sequins in them, and with that taping method I described above, we didn’t have any leaks!