Letter Of The Week ! C c !

Caterpillar C !

There are so many children’s books with caterpillars in them that they are very familiar to most young kids. I always aim to use something they immediately recognize so that I am reinforcing the letter’s sound .

1. Gather your materials. You will need 2 pieces of different color construction paper, paint, a marker,glue,pom poms, a pipe cleaner, googley eyes, and scissors.
  2. Draw a big C with your marker on one piece of construction paper.
  3. Have your child paint the C, we are using paint rollers, I try to give my son options when possible and he chose the paint rollers. You could use crayons or markers too!
  4. Add as many glue dots as you have pom poms, make sure there is a lot of glue, pom poms need a good amount to stay put. Also add two smaller globs of glue for the eyes.
  5. Add your pom poms! I held them and asked my son which color he wanted, then he put it on.
  6. Add the googley eyes. Let dry.
  7. Cut the C out ,add the pipe cleaner by poking two small holes and threading it through, glue the C onto the 2nd piece of construction paper.
Books !

” Bob and Otto” by Robert O. Bruel is a lovely story about 2 friends who must part ways , in this case because one is a caterpillar who needs to build a chrysalis and the other an earth worm who needs to dig deep into the ground. What I like about this book is that it goes on to explain that the earth worm’s digging is vital for the trees to grow so that the caterpillar can eat the leaves and turn into a butterfly. I like the lesson about how we all play a part!

” The Crunching Munching Caterpillar” by Sheridan Cain is another story about a caterpillar who is not happy about his lot in life. There is a fair bit of language that some parents would object to. This caterpillar is often reminded that he is too fat to fly- so that poses a few challenges to parents like myself who are trying to instill healthy body images as well as using respectful words with others in our children. I have dealt with this book in two ways, first by saying that the caterpillar is getting fat but it’s a good thing because he will be sleeping for a long time in his chrysalis and needs that fat to live. Also I have simply replaced fat with big, a word that is much less ugly to many people’s ears.

More Fun !

For another fun bug activity head over to

for my weekly activity .Older Children will love it!

Comments

1. Amanda says

We did this project a few weeks ago! Instead of pom poms we used different colored circles I cut out which my daughter (2 1/2) called her dots. She was so excited to show daddy her “catapilla dots!” when he got home from work. Thank you so much for all of your wonderful ideas! We did I for ice cream this morning and will be making the paper lanterns this afternoon!

2. Becky Sue says

Ok… its been a joy to watch your creativity be delivered to my Reader! Today I’m going to join the ranks and start doing a letter of the week too! Thinking it will be great decorations for the playroom :)

3. Anonymous says

I recognize your blog is all about having fun (with some learning) with the little ones, which I love. Since you have so much experience with toddlers, I wonder if you’d be willing to give some thoughts/advice on potty training. Its such a big milestone, but most of us first time mommies don’t have a clue how to best approach it for our kiddos!

Potty training is such a trial and error thing in my opinion . The last class I worked with started in diapers and we helped their potty training and in class ( which can be very very different than at home) I took the try if you want stance. Different kids responded differently, some kids would go if promised to do a potty dance, some waited until their 3rd birthday and were potty trained in 2 days because that was the barrier in their mind.

The 2 things I would really advise is to be as relaxed as possible ( I know it’s hard as a parent) and to never punish for accidents, even if you think they did it on purpose, it’s likely they just couldn’t get to the potty on time or were too busy playing and thought they could hold it.In those cases I would ask if they would sit on the potty to see if any last dribbles would come out, if they did I would praise them to no end, but if not I would get them clean undies, and clean up the mess without any ramifications.

Some people suggest having them clean up the mess but that’s not my style, I think that is a punishment even as logical as it is, I am trying to focus on the positive and make them feel comfortable and ready for this huge step not afraid of the consequences. But that’s just me.

Also have them watch siblings or parents if you are comfortable, it’s amazing what some gentle peer pressure will do.

What I did with my son who is mid way through potty training is simply praise as much as possible, we did stickers for going potty for a while and if he asks for one i give it to him but he usually just goes now, although if he is busy there is no way he’ll stop to tell me he has to pee, in a store he will 100% of the time cause he loves the automatic toilets! So I try to get him on the potty at natural times and in the evening after nap I will often pop him in undies and thick sweats- so he can feel wetness and understand what happens if he pees, or feel really really proud when he stays dry! We are just in the beginning stages though, and I am following his lead. He asked to sit on the potty when we started this journey so he was ready.

I am no expert about potty training but I have seen and helped lots of children through it, I think the key is to try and find what works for your child ( special undies, bribes, potty dance..), do not push it past their limits, and try to relax.

I hope that helps!

5. ScottChrisCoriCassiCali says

I have a sickly little girl right at home today. I saw your post and asked her if she would like to make one. We talked a lot about what other words start with C. It was a fun time and just what she needed today. I put it up for our family to see. I know they will enjoy her version. Thanks for the great idea.

6. Anonymous says

Thank you so very much for taking the time to give your thoughts and ideas on potty training. I really appreciate it and these things will help me a lot as we are just beginning!

Casie – I went to leave a comment on your blog and couldn't- they verification word was cut off my your background.

Your projects look adorable!

8. Kristalyn says

We made your C caterpillars today and both my 2 yr old and 4 yr old loved them. Then we followed it by reading one of our favorites, “Charlie the Caterpillar” by Dom De Luise.

My boys (2 year old twins) just did this letter project today. They declared that it was “awesome!” Thanks for putting together this great resource!

1. [...] Cursive Name Bugs Doily Dragonfly Gross Motor Spider Web Game Hand Print Butterflies Letter B Bee Letter C Caterpillar Letter S Spider Plastic Egg Bugs Band-aid Butterflies Fly Swatter Painting Tissue Paper Snail 3D [...]