- Gather your materials. You will need some multicolored mini marshmallows, glue, markers and paper.
- Start by drawing a rainbow on the paper.
- Next I added some squiggles of color in the rainbow to act as a guide. Older children can skip this step.
- Add glue
- Add your marshmallows, I added some to get my son started, then he began matching them to the colors on the rainbow. When he started to loose some steam I asked him if he could find specific colors, then praised him when he did and helped him fill in his colors . A little praise and team work goes so so far at this age it’s amazing. If they don’t want help but the rainbow is too big, put it away for a day or two and bring it back out, the marshmallows aren’t really food and will stay ok for days.
- Let dry- it takes a while but it will dry!
- Cut out.
“Rain Dance” by Kathi Appelt is a simple little counting book with bog numbers and fantastic simple pictures of the animals on a farm in the rain. This is a great example of a book made for a young toddler. My son loves it because he can read the numbers and announce the animals, even though he can’t read the text he has been “reading” it to himself multiple times a day complete with clapping at the end.
” Duckie’s Rainbow” by Frances Barry is a clever little book , you walk with her as she passes things like a yellow cornfield and blue pond until the pages above create a rainbow . I love the idea but reading it with my son all he wanted to do was turn the pages as quickly as he could to make the rainbow. Not a big deal in really but this would make a better story time book then a bedtime one for that reason.
“The Umbrella” by Jan Brett is another fantastic book by this very talented author and illustrator. A little boy goes off into the jungle in the rain to see if he can find animals. He puts down his umbrella to climb a tree and while he keeps climbing higher and higher all the animals he wanted to see fight for a spot in his umbrella that ends up floating down the river. The story is adorable and layered for different ages, and the illustrations will captivate you !