2 Crafts In One…

Q- Tip
Dandelion

My plan was for my son to do this dandelion , but all he wanted to do was stick the q-tips in his nose, in his ears- pretty much everywhere but the glue. So I made the flower and my son happily and very carefully painted with a q-tip, a great open ended activity which should make up the majority of art time for toddlers and preschoolers anyway. Not what I planned, but we had fun and I think both projects are pretty cute.

1. Gather your materials. You will need a green pipe cleaner, a big handful of q-tips, a cotton ball ,a piece of construction paper and glue.
  2. Start by bending your pipe cleaner into a stem and one leaf.
  3. Add glue to your paper and glue the stem on.
  4. Add a large circle of glue at the top of the stem
  5. Add your q-tips to the glue.
  6. Add a cotton ball to the middle
  7. Let dry.
Easy Peasy
Q-tip Painting

Something I noticed while watching my son was how carefully he was painting with the q-tips, he was being really gentle and while it didn’t last a long time, the fine motor skills got a good workout.

1. Gather your materials. You will need some paper, q-tips, paint and something to put the paint in .
  2. If your child is like mine – “I do it mama” is frequently heard, so have the independent little person pour or squeeze some paint into a small dish.
  3. Dip in the q-tip
  4. Start Painting!

Comments

1. Lori says

I love it! My daughter loves blowing dandelions and I know she will love making that, thanks for sharing it!

2. frillsfluffandtrucks says

Thanks for the reminder–I forgot all about q-tip painting! :) My two love doing that.

By the way, check out my post today–I think your little man would like doing it. :)

~ Sarah

3. Lettie says

I love that dandelion! Q-tips have so many uses. This is on our to do list for sure. Thanks for all of your great ideas! :)

4. One Tightwad Mama says

My son actually did the flower (I thought he may not) and he loved it! It was a quick craft, but fun.

5. Mum-me says

I used to do a lot of cotton-bud painting with my older children (when they were younger) in a really mess-free way.

I’d get their water colour tray – you know with the little dry ‘cakes’ of colour – and a small cup of water.

Dip the cotton-bud in the water and then rub on the paint cake, then paint!

It makes a lovely rich colour, unlike the usual ‘watery’ watercolour. But you do need a different cotton-bud for each cake of colour.

6. Nikki says

When we did q-tip painting recently I cut a strawberry shape out of red construction paper and then a green top. My 2y/o glued on the top and then took a q-tip and dabbed “seeds” on the strawberry :) .

7. Bernadete says

I love this idea! I nominated you for an award over on my blog, thanks for always being a source of great ideas!

8. Shannon says

This is perfect – my 4 year old can make the dandelion and my 2 year old can paint with the q tip. THANKS! :)

9. Andersons Mommy says

I love how a lot of your crafts encorporate the fine motor skills! The skinny little Q-Tips in this one is another example!

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, Allie!

~ Ashlyn

Thanks for noticing. Even though I am a firm believer in learning through play I am also a firm believer in structuring *some* of the play to work on specific skills.