Letter of the Week A !

Alligator A !

This is a pretty classic letter of the week idea, but my son and I were both so excited about how cute the alligator turned out to be. The foam teeth and googly eyes really helped turn the A into an alligator. Don’t miss the additional activity for more ideas about how to incorporate letters into playtime.

1. Gather your materials. You will need 2 pieces of construction paper ( different colors), 2 googly eyes, some white foam or paper will do, glue, scissor and markers.
  2. Draw a large upper case A on one piece of construction paper. I added two triangles on one side of the A for eyes.
  3. Give your child the A and have them color it to their liking. We have been talking about inside vs outside a lot this week so I shouted out “Inside the A” and ‘Outside the A” and my son obliged, it made it a little silly but fun.
  4. While they color cut out some triangles for alligator teeth.
  5. Cut out the A
  6. Glue it on the 2nd piece of paper.
  7. Add glue to the eyes ( you can see where we had glue all over above the eye, no biggie, just wipe it)
  8. Add the googly eyes
  9. Add dots of glue for the teeth
  10. Add the teeth. Let dry.

Books!

“SNIP SNAP! What’s That? “ by Mara Bergman was a great library find. The book is about an alligator who sneaks into an apartment filled with three very terrified children. I love that the story changes when the children decide to stop being afraid and to fight back. My son really enjoyed the book, he liked he use of onomatopoeia throughout and the exaggerated illustrations of the alligator. After we read it at lunch he asked for it to be his nap time book, and again for it at bedtime. That is a good review from a 2 year old!

“Alligator Alphabet” by Stella Blackstone and Stephanie Bauer. I was so excited to find this book because just this week my son started pointing out lower case letters in text. This book is a beautifully illustrated book with each letter represented on it’s own page. Pretty standard right? Wrong, although the text below the illustration had both upper and lower case letters, the main illustration is only the lower case letter. This is perfect for children like my son who are just starting to learn their lowercase letters.

“Alligator Baby” by Robert Munsch is a ridiculous story that will have your child laughing and screaming “No no that’s not a people baby!” The story is about a family who brings home the wrong baby, over and over again. Finally the older sister takes things into her own hands and saves the day. Kids love this story, it’s not the best bedtime book though, my son was very very hard to settle down after laughing so hard at this one.

Additional Activity

Cookie Sheet Letter Board

Looks simple doesn’t it? It is. All I did was buy $1 magnetic letters at Wal-mart and grabbed a cookie sheet from my pantry. My son has been playing with this on and off for days. Here are some of the fun things we’ve done.

• All the letters on the sheet- take turns finding a letter and taking it off
  • All letter off the sheet, taking turns finding a letter and putting it on
  • Grouping the letters by color
  • Counting the letters as we put each on , and taking them off again.

Of course we labeled each letter as we did this. It is definitely simple but it was also a lot of fun.

Comments

1. Jennifer says

I love all your letter of the day ideas. One idea I had was to do these and eventually make a book of the alphabet of them, like in a binder. Thank you for your blog!
    Jennifer in Austin, TX

2. Annette says

I think you can help. I hope.

How in the world do you get your googley eyes to stay?? Ours just fall off!

Thanks!

Annette, what kind of glue did you use? I find googly eyes hate glue stick glue, I only use white glue with them. I use ( well my son) uses a tone too, takes longer to dry but they stay put.

I hope that helps!

4. frillsfluffandtrucks says

We do something similar with magnetic letters, except ours are in a metal cookie tin (some kind of Danish cookie that my mom used to be obsessed with.) Anyhow, my children use the lid to stick the letters on (ours are kind of a mini size letter) and then just pop the lid back on the tin when they’re done. Cheap and fun! :)

~ Sarah

5. Michelle says

We just love the cookie sheet and magnets in our house. We’ve been doing it for a couple weeks and my 2 year old still loves it! We call the cookie sheet his “letter board” and even let him keep it in his room. Thanks for some suggestions on games we can play together with it. Also I can’t wait to do this craft with Nathan, he is always asking to ake an alligator!

6. SkylarKD says

We borrowed ‘Alligator Baby’ from the library a couple of weeks ago, and my daughter wants to read it all the time! She’ll be sad when we have to bring it back!

7. jd6405 says

I just love the alligator A! My daughter, almost two, started making on this afternoon. Once she wakes from her nap and it is dry we will add the teeth and eyes. So much fun!

8. findingmymommybody says

I’ve had your website bookmarked for probably 6 months. I now have my head on straight after my second child’s birth and was finally able to do a craft (the alligator) with my 2.5-year-old! We had a blast and can’t wait to do more!! Thanks for sharing all your terrific ideas!

9. Bethany says

My toddler son LOVED doing this! He is so proud of his A and keeps pointing at it. Thanks for such a great idea.

We used this today for a craft. Thank You so much for sharing! I hope it’s ok. I am going to share this on our blog… Credit is ALWAYS given. We love your blog.. it’s a go-to.. for sure :o)

11. ms, nanci says

I am SO frustrated!!! I’m dying to use your crafts with my preschoolers at school but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to print out the page with the directions! I keep getting just the “categories” list on the right of your page!! in particular, i was trying to print out the “a for alligator” project but i’d love to use other craft projects as well. how do i print them out so i can take the directions to school with me???

thanks! and a great website!!!

nanci

1. [...] First Name Initials (I just thought of this–how cute to make a fun initial for your kids? We’d have to do D for David and A for Alizeta!) [...]