Tiger Craft

tiger craft
My son has been talking a lot about tigers lately, so it was no shock to me when I asked him what he wanted to make for art and he replied “Tiger?”. He loved making this and even though we didn’t cut eyes out, he has been playing with it like a mask , pretending to be a ferocious tiger. If your child loves Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood ( which wasn’t on when this was first published) they will adore this paper plate tiger craft.

1. Gather your materials. You will need some orange and black paper, a paper plate, some orange paint ( or mix red and yellow like we did), scissors, googley eyes, and glue.
  2. Start by mixing your orange paint
  3. Paint your plate- we started out with the dainty brush,but finished with hands.
  4. While our child is painting, cut a nose and mouth.
  5. As well as some black stripes – we used 8
  6. And ears out of the orange paper.
  7. Add the stripes on either side by first adding glue
  8. Then the paper.
  9. Next add the mouth and nose.
  10. My son was begging to add the eyes before we finished the stripes, so we did it before we did the head stripes, it doesn’t really matter what order you do the gluing in.
  11. Add the stripes on the top of the head too.
  12. Next up, the ears, add two stripes on each ear.
  13. Glue the ears on and let everything dry.
Books !

“Tigress” by Helen Cowcher is a book that is definitely not for the sensitive child who is upset by animals killing other animals and talk of poisoning carcasses. I would have hated this book as a child, it would have put me in tears. However it is a realistic snippet of a tiger’s life, as well as the people who live nearby like herdsmen and game wardens. My son had no interest in this book , but an older child would appreciate it.

“If You See A Tiger” by Richard Powell is a cute book for babies and young toddlers. It’s a lift the flap book that encourages your child to do what the book suggests if you come across various animals. My son really liked this book when we read it a year ago when he was 18 months old.

“The Loudest Roar” by Thomas Taylor was given to me at my baby shower, recommended by a friend who’s son loved it. Sure enough my son does too, especially if I roar really really loudly along with Clovis the little tiger with the loudest roar of all. It’s a good book when toddlers are learning about when we can be loud and when we should be quiet.

Comments

1. Lori says

You have the cutest ideas! If my daughter said she wanted to make a tiger I would be like, “sorry dear, I don’t know how to make those.” You are so talented and so creative! Thanks for sharing these ideas with us all!

2. Jennifer Poppy says

What do you do with all of his crafts afterward? How long do you keep them? Which ones do you keep? Do you keep them?

I take the googley eyes off, and the rest gets recycled, and thrown out. If he really loves something and plays with it we keep it until it’s not played with anymore. I have kept some but I usually end up pitching those after a few months.

I am going to use the pictures of them to make a photo book soon though, I am waiting for a free deal.

If he was older though I figure he’d be more attached, in which case I would use a one in one out policy. I would let him display 5-10 I’m not sure the number. Then if the display was full he’d have to throw something out to keep something new .

4. Colleen says

My 3 year old daughter has been talking about tigers lately too. I decided to do this craft with her this afternoon and she had to make two! Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas with us. I think we’ll be making bears soon too!e

5. funmama says

Thanks for sharing this cute craft…I am going to do the jungle theme next week.. it will be a good idea..

I would love to include this idea in the June edition of The Bookworm’s Bookbag, a monthly e-magazine featuring the best preschool activities around the blogosphere. If you agree to allow us to publish this idea, we will also publish your name, bio, and bloglink.

Thanks for your consideration.
    .-= Tara´s last blog ..A Few of My Favorite Things =-.