Sent In By You – Parents Only

Cooler than Tie Dye!

This project was sent in by Scott over at 360KID. This uses bleach so this is not a project for when kids are around however for a crafty parent it’s awesome. Make sure you are in a very well ventilated area- like outside and you use gloves when dealing with bleach. I plan to do this for my son with a cut out of an upright base- for some reason I can’t find shirts with that instrument in a 3T! Thanks Scott for sharing this and your blog!

1. Gather your materials. Scott used an old black tee-shirt, some doilies, twigs, scissors, newspaper , spritzer bottle, bleach , water and gloves.
  2. Start by mixing 2 parts water and one part bleach in your spritzer bottle.
  3. Lay out the newspaper and tee-shirt.
  4. Cut your doilies, and paper into shapes. You could also use plastic letters, rocks… the sky is the limit. Place them and the twigs on the shirt.
  5. Spray with the bleach mixture. Wait. Scott said that it started turning almost immediately!
  6. Pop it in a cold wash – dry and you are good to go!

If you are interested in kids , learning and technology pop over to Scott’s blog 360KID , you’ll end up reading for hours!

Comments

1. Teri says

That's really cool! I thought that his doily pieces were caterpillars in the original pic of the shirt – it looks really cool! :)

2. km says

That is cool, but sun printing is cooler. I bought some Pebeo Setacolor Soleil (the sun printing fabric paint) at a local craft store. The results aren't as immediate, but you paint, then lay leaves or other 'outlines' on your pieces and put it in the direct sun to dry. When it's dry, an iron sets the color. This IS kid friendly. The product is French. There's a website on the box. http://www.pebeo. com

Isn't it?!

I really love Scott's blog too, it always makes me think and dream about the possibilities of learning and technology which is not at all my background.

4. Rebecca is Thrilled by the Thought says

SO much cooler than tie dye! Now if only I could make it look that cool…

5. Beverly says

Thanks for the fun ideas, Allie! I have a couple of requests:
    Any project ideas for using those clear plastic containers that produce and lettuce come in?
    Also, now that we've been through the alphabet, how about a similar "Number of the Week" blog? Thanks to your ideas, my son knows all of his letters! I'd love some crafts for each numeral, too.
    Thanks, Allie!

6. Sarah says

Wow I totally love this idea! Once can buy various colored t-shirts at Michaels for like $3. Fun!

7. Lori says

That's awesome! I just got some Tshirts on clearance to try something with, I think we will do this one!

Beverly –

I have been thinking about number ideas too- so stay tuned! Let me think on the plastic containers.

Thanks !