Play Post Office!

This was a spur of the moment activity. My son kept pretending to put a card into a kitchen cabinet saying “Into the mailbox” , I jumped on this , and so glad I did. I say often that following your child’s interests is key and if I had a video stream of my house today I could prove my point even better. My son played with this from the time we made it until bed time. He kissed it goodnight at nap and bedtime. If you have half as much fun as he did with it, I’ll be happy.

1. Gather your materials. You will need a rectangular box, some craft paper, markers, tape, scissors , envelopes, stickers and a piece of white paper.
  2. Start by cutting off one end of the box.
  3. Cut a slot ( make it wider than I did if you don’t want to be saying “Try it the other way, turn it around” 300 times between frustrated 2 year old almost tantrums)
  4. Wrap the box like a present in the craft paper.
  5. Cut the paper where the slot it and tape it on the inside.
  6. Time to color, let your child go nuts. I just let him go for it.
  7. Make a sign ( if you child can do this have them do it!)
  8. Tape it on.
  9. Time to make the mail- I used blank envelopes. Have your child add addresses, if they can write letters, do that too. No matter what stage they are at have them add the address, if it’s scribbles cool, if it’s a full address that’s great.
  10. Add a “stamp” we used stickers.
  11. Play! My son filled the mail box then declared ” Delivery time!” knocked it over took the mail and delivered it around the house. Then repeated this many many times.

Book!

“Delivery” by Anastasia Suen is a recent favorite at our house. Although it doesn’t fit the mail theme perfectly it does fit in with the theme of transporting things, via trains, plans and automobiles… well and boats! This is a great book for kids like mine who love trucks of all shapes and sizes but it also explains how things get from one place to another simply by observing. I really enjoy the illustrations by Wade Zahares are done from interesting a differing perspectives and there are so many details I find something new each time. The first night we read this book at bedtime my son chose it for his, mine and my husband’s book choice, so we read it three times in a row.

Comments

1. ImogenSky says

That is so much fun! We are moving in one month so I will need to remember that one for after our big move!

2. EntertainingMom says

I haven't made Alexander a mailbox! I had with the other two and they loved it. Loved it more when i wrote them special letters and mailed them "goodies!"

Come check out my blog and our Father's Day gift… this would be totally up your alley!

3. Christy says

This is a great idea. Too cute. I have had "play post office" on my to do list for months now and you have inspired me to do it.

4. teachmama says

We love to have fun with boxes over here–a mailbox is a great idea! Love it–and love your stamps!!

5. Trisha says

That is brilliamt! I hope I can rescue the shoe box from the garbage without too much trouble. I think I'll have to figure out a way to have a flag that goes us so my son can sing like Mailbox on Blue's Clues.

6. Pattie Cordova says

cute idea… My baby is 18 mo. old so I'm thinking of cutting a bigger hole at the bottom too and make it easier to take out the mail… great idea!

7. Tutta la Storia says

Great activity! Very cute. I agree with Trisha's comment–my son would flip if I could get it to resemble the Blue's Clues mailbox!

8. CWDkids says

This is such a great activity. I know little children will have fun for hours with playing post office.

Too cute!

Ashley, with CWDkids

9. Tara @ Feels like home says

Great idea! I saw your Tweets about the mailbox, and I've been waiting to see. :) Grace and I will certainly be making a mailbox soon.

10. Anastasia Suen says

Three times in a row! I'm so glad he enjoyed the book, Allie!

I have some activities for this book at http://ow.ly/fGXO

Your son may be old enough for the truck puzzle and the train craft.

11. frillsfluffandtrucks says

Oh fantastic idea! My two will love this project. Good thing we're heading to Costco this weekend–I'm sure we'll come home with an appropriate box. :)

~ Sarah

12. Making of a Montessori Mum says

Fabulous! Looks like that was a winner. We are just starting to write letters (well scribbles) so this will be great. Thanks. (:

13. Christi says

My little girl-2- loved this activity! I wrote her little notes in each envelope and she brings them to me to read. So cute!

14. Sandra says

My kids will go nuts for this. When our oldest turned 4 he asked for a mailman dress up outfit–and he got one from a dear friend (so this is perfect!).

15. Lenetta @ Nettacow says

Just wanted to let you know I linked to this on my weekly roundup (post can be found here). Also linked to the shopping list post. Thanks!

16. danielle says

TERRIFIC! I think we'll ask for paper bags at the grocery next time & then make ourselves a mailbox! WOOHOO!

17. Jackie says

This is a great idea. Her grandma has a toy set that has a mailbox on it, and she loves delivering the mail. I think we'll do this today!! Thanks for all your wonderful ideas. Makes life much easier for the less creative of us in the world.

18. rosie says

maybe i'm confused but how do you get the letters out? i'm thinking of making this with my twins this afternoon!

19. rosie says

how did i miss the "cut out the bottom of the box" part?! did this today with my two 3 1/2 year olds. i wasn't sure if the mailing letters and remailing letters would hold their attention but it did. loved this project!