DIY Name Stamp

by Kim

This idea actually started at Valentine’s Day. Our 3 year old (foster son) wanted to write his name on all of the cards for his class, like our 4 year old was doing. The problem is that he cannot write. We are working on it, but that time was not the right time to sit with two preschool aged boys as they wrote out 16 cards each (while keeping the 2 year old occupied and the baby entertained).

So I grabbed a block that had put away because of a choking hazard to the baby and made a stamp for the 3 year old to put his name on the cards. This became so popular that I had to make one for everyone. Here is how I did one for Charley (my 2 year old). Grab a block, any kind will do. You will also need a pencil and puffy paint.

Write your child’s name on the block, but remember to do it backwards.

This is what happens when you aren’t giving your craft your full attention. I honestly didn’t even notice how wrong it was until she went to stamp. Duh!

So now it should look like this.

Grab your ink pad and let your child start stamping their name away.

This stamp is great for those of you that gave your child a uncommon name or a unique spelling, like I did. I am never going to find anything that has “Charley” on it in the stores, especially geared for a girl. Now she has a stamp with her name and her spelling.

Obviously this is great for name recognition. It works well for phonics and letter recognition, too. And what kid doesn’t love to stamp?

___________________________________________________________________________

Kim is a contributing writer for No Time For Flash Cards, a mom to a toddler, a preschooler, and a foster parent, too. She juggles her day by trying out fun activities and crafts with the kids. After all, she is just a big kid herself. See what she has been up to over at Mom Tried It.

Comments

Love this idea and so simple to make. My youngest practices tracing her name over what I have written (several times) for her. Now she can just stamp it, and trace. More fun for her and less time saving for me…lol Thanks!!

Great idea! I work with a child with autism who will be going into kindergarten and is not yet writing his name. I think this would be great for him.

I love this stamping idea! I’ve made all kinds of stamps, but I really like the name stamping idea. I can think of all kinds of ways to use this! :)

4. Kristen says

Great idea! Have your children used the stamp long enough for you to judge its durability? I teach 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year olds. Most of them, at least by December, can find their own name and spell it, but do not have the manual dexterity to write it. This stamp would be great for them to “sign” their own artwork. I’m just wondering if the puffy paint would be strong enough to last through the year.

Kristen, I made the stamps the last week of January and they are going strong. I used the foam kind of blocks and the puffy paint stuck to it really well. My 4 yr old took it to preschool every day and used it. Even though it was his name, it was so popular that other kids used it, too. It should hold up really well.

6. nopinkhere says

Love this idea. I will NEVER find any items with my kids’ names on them. Plus the almost 2yo wants to do everything her brother does. Thanks!

this is FABULOUS! Since we speak Portuguese at home, we spell our kids’ names with Portuguese orthography instead of English, and we run into the same problem. Our oldest son has a pretty common name, but we spell it with an E on the end (a schwa, because that’s how they say it in Portuguese) and even though I’d love to just get him stuff with the “regular” spelling, I don’t want him to get confused.

I am going to make these this month for sure! Since my oldest is 4 and CAN write his own name, I am going to have HIM write his name, and then I’ll do the puffy paint so it will be a stamp with his “signature” – and I could probably update it each year as his handwriting improves!

Thanks so much for this post!

8. susie says

What a great idea! No puffy paint here but was thinking about using foam ABC stickers and sticking that on a block.

9. Cyndy says

I teach kDG IN AN URBAN SCHOOL SETTING & THE CHILDREN’S NAMES ARE UNIQUE. i LOVE THIS IDEA & i KNOW THEY WILL ALSO! i AM GOING TO DO THIS WHEN WE RETURN TO SCHOOL. tHANK YOU!

10. Karen B says

I love this! I’ve carved stamps from rubber erasers before, but this is something that would be safe for my 6 year old to do himself! I suspect we will be getting a lot of train (his favorite) stamps real soon. :)