Rainbow Gelatin Sensory Tub

rainbow gelatin sensory tub

I know tomorrow is Valentine’s Day but my mind is already planning St.Patrick’s Day. If you need a Valentine’s Day craft idea we have those too but I had to share this because it was too much fun to keep to ourselves any longer. The major bonus of this project was that for toddlers who are putting everything in their mouths it’s no biggy if they take a bite. I added koolaid to make it smell great and sour to discourage eating it. This must be kept in the fridge so make some , you won’t regret it.

1. Gather your materials. I used 6 foil pans I had on hand but any container will work to set the gelatin, you will need plain gelatin packets 4 per color, food color, spoons, a pot, measuring cups and koolaid for scent/added color. Also a big tub and some bath toys for playing.rainbow gelatin sensory tub
  2. Start by mixing your colors. I used koolaid mostly for scent but also for color.
  3. Make the gelatin. I used the recipe on the back of the knox gelatin box adjusting it to  1/2 as much liquid ( 1/2 cup of cool and 1 cup hot and 4 envelopes of gelatin) as the recipe called for to make it thicker for play using plain water with color/ koolaid in it. I made all 6 colors.rainbow gelatin sensory tub
  4. Let cool – I had to stack them in my fridge so I popped a few in the freezer for a minute to stiffen and totally forgot about this purple one… if froze, and was unusable. The kids didn’t miss it at all.
  5. When set slice into pieces. I used a knife then scraped it into the tub using a spatula.
  6. Add kids and toys. He was so excited he was bouncing, this is the best picture of many very blurry bouncy pictures I took.Rainbow Sensory Tub
  7.  You can probably tell we did this in our bathroom, please find a place where tiny bits of color won’t ruin anything. The gelatin won’t stain hands but can be absorbed into clothes and other fabrics. Please go somewhere where kids can have fun without you hovering and you won’t have to search for stain removers on Pinterest after this project. Our bathroom was perfect, I had a damp cloth handy for little bits that got shaken off hands or toys and flung all over. It also had a door to stop kids from running into the rest of the house before hands were washed. All this said it was still completely worth it.

Rainbow Sensory Tub

8. They stuck them on the side of the tub.
  9. Smelled it. Rainbow Sensory Tub
  10. Tasted it ( love my son’s face, he’s telling her not to eat it). Rainbow Sensory Tub
  11. Mixed them all up and had a blast. Rainbow Sensory Tub

Comments

Oh wow! This looks like so much fun! Our bathrooms are not really big enough for playtime though, so I think I’ll hold off on this until it’s warm enough to play outside!

• Deanna says

Great activity!!!! I actually put my toddler IN the bathtub for this one! He is 16mo and was nuts about this one!!!

• Deanna says

2. Jamie says

Just wanted to say that I’ve done play with regular sugared jello and I don’t think that it was that much of a mess. We made shapes, stacked, stuck and everything else that you did and the clean up was fine. Can’t wait to do it again! :-)

3. Andrea says

I think my kids would thoroughly enjoy this. How many boxes of gelatin did you use for all six colors–one or one per color or somewhere in between?

4. Catherine says

I have several boxes of sugar free jello I’m going to try this with today. I also have a box of knox gelatin packs. Maybe I could do red, blue and clear (or white) for the 4th of July.

5. miranda says

Hi! I think my son will love this! We love all things rainbow! I was just wondering, how do you store this or is it a one time use only? Love it and looking forward to making this!

6. Brandi says

Hi! Please forgive this question if I missed it somewhere in the post…but I am unfamiliar with the gelatin packs…so it sounds like they come in a box just like the jello, but how many boxes/packets do I need? Thank you! So excited to have found this AMAZING site.

I can’t believe I never had the full recipe – I used 4 envelopes of plain knox gelatin per color with 1/2 cool liquid and 1 cup of hot. I used koolaid to scent and color it.

1. [...] Rainbow Gelatin Sensory Tub – 1 freebie(s)? [...]

2. [...] that allow the kids to utilize their senses and so when I saw a Rainbow Gelatin Sensory tub over at No Time for Flash Cards I was in love!  This project was awesome but in order to really have fun, it will become extremely [...]

3. [...] up some colorful Rainbow Jello from No Time For Flashcards Hide Snakes in Jello with The Imagination Tree Make a fun, [...]