Letters On The Go

by Kim

When you are on on the go, sometimes your children are not so cooperative. Whether you are on a road trip or just running errands around town your children probably are not too happy about it and let you know. Allie did a great post about learning on the go in which her son checked off letters as he found them. But giving my three small children each a pencil and pad isn’t something that would make a trip easier on me. At home sure, but not out by myself.

This fun activity keeps hands and minds busy. Plus it helps keeps Mommy sane, always a plus. ;) The simpleness of this activity makes it easily adjustable for all ages and levels.

All you will need for this is a paper plate, marker, and scissors.

Write letters around the edge of the plate.

Then cut in between each letter.

You can make one for upper case letters, lower case letters, shapes, sight words, and colors. The possibilities are endless. You could also turn it into a fun math activity by doing numbers or equations.

Give your child a plate and when you are out on the town or at a park (pretty much wherever) they simply fold down the letter as they spot it in their surroundings.

We had a five year old boy with us learning his phonics, so when he saw something I would ask the sound of it. We would match the sound the letter makes to the letter, then he would fold it over. He was so excited.

This is definitely one of those activities that children can do on their own or you can do with them. Like I said the possibilities are endless, so have fun!

What will you put on your plate?

Kim is a contributing writer for No Time For Flash Cards, a mom to a toddler, a preschooler, and a foster parent, too. She juggles her day by trying out fun activities and crafts with the kids. After all, she is just a big kid herself. See what she has been up to over at Mom Tried It.

Comments

Brilliant. I can’t wait to go on a long road trip just to try this! My 2 and 4 yr old boys are going to love this game. Thank you for sharing.

A terrific idea! I’m thinking of all kinds of applications for my class, too. Walk around the building and find letters/words/shapes. Put words around the room and walk around finding them. Thanks for a great simple idea that has so much use.

3. Brooke says

Thank you for the super idea…..I just made up a couple to keep my girls occupied as we go through the grocery store, so I drew (albeit rudimentary) pictures of the items on our list and now we are all more excited about our scavenger hunt/shopping trip.

4. Laura says

I absolutely LOVE this idea. I currently live in Thailand and am helping out at a local nursery teaching the kids some English (I am not a teacher so sometimes it is a struggle). Your ideas are wonderful and the materials are easy to come by, I am excited to get back into the classroom now and use some of your ideas with these little ones as the learn English as a second language. Thank you so much, I will be following your blog more closely from now on.

5. Andrea says

I love this. I already have my kids look for letters and numbers at the grocery store. This will help them be more self-guided. I think I will put “sh” “ch” “st” , etc. on my 4yr old’s plate so he can begin working on those blend sounds. I simply love this. Thank you!

I love this idea! It makes me remember the old car bingo that had road signs and that sort of thing with little slides you pulled over when you found it. I will try this with my grandchildren :)