This week is fire prevention week and we’ve been sharing some of our fire truck and firefighter themed crafts on our Pinterest and Facebook now it’s time for something new on the blog. This fire truck math activity is really also a writing one although I only marketed it as a math one for my son. See he isn’t super keen on writing but he loves math. He is a bit of a perfectionist and writing takes practice and it’s hard. So to temper the frustration he feels with writing I added a fun theme and another appealing task , the math. There was still some frustration but there were a lot of smiles too.
- Gather your materials. You will need some red paper, a black marker, a pencil, and scissors.
- Start by drawing the outline of a fire truck. This does NOT need to be perfect, as you can see mine wasn’t and this took we 3 tries. One tip is to draw on on scrap paper and when it’s just right cut it out and use that as a template. Cut out however many you want.
- Add some windows, tires and the most important part the ladder. The rungs on the ladder are what your child will count and then write on the body of the truck.
- I cut out 7 but only drew on 5 not knowing if my son would want more than 5 . Good thing I did as you will see.
- Count the ladder rungs.
- Write. After a few he asked if these were all I had. I grabbed the 2 extra and filled them in.
- Keep going. Flip over and write on the back if they want more!