- Gather your materials. You will need a paper towel roll cut in half or two toilet paper rolls, some tissue or other colored paper, a hole punch, glue and ribbon or yarn.
- Start by cutting out shapes in your paper. If your child is a toddler you will want to do this ahead of time and spend this time showing your child the shapes. Don’t worry if they don’t seem to get it, they are absorbing it, but keep it short so they don’t get bored. Older children can cut out their own shapes.
- Get out the glue and start gluing on the shapes. Remember to ask questions, about the colors and shapes but don’t pester them.
- Glue the two rolls together and let dry. You can also staple them if needed.
- Punch 2 holes and tie the ribbon on and you are good to go!
- Gather your materials. For older children, you really do not need anything more than the funky binoculars and a bag or something to act as home base for all the shapes you find. Younger children I would either use blocks you have that are different shapes or cut some out of paper for the activity.
- Hide or place the shapes or blocks around the house in places your child can find them easily. However, for young toddlers, you can just scatter them on the floor, or in the backyard.
- So, grab your trusty binoculars and start searching for those shapes. Remember to be animated and have fun, get into it and your child will too!
Herman the Worm – remix!
Sittin’ on a fence post chomping on my gum,
chomp chomp chomp,
Playing with my yo-yo,
When along came Herman the worm,
and he was shaped like this__(hold up a shape)__
And I said, “Herman what happened?”
And he said I ate a ___(name the shape)____
Do with as many or as few shapes as you please!
“There’s a Square” by Mary Serfozo is a book all about shapes, all the illustrations contain multiple shapes for your children to find!
“The Loudest Roar” by Thomas Taylor is a cute board book about Clovis a little Tiger with a big Roar!
If you’re new here, make sure to follow me over on my Facebook page for more fun activities like this shape safari activity!
If you teach preschool or preschool at home, you will love my Little School eBook of preschool activities.