The classic book Chica Chica Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault was the inspiration for this craft. You may be wondering where the coconuts are and I do have an answer, I totally forgot to make them. So if you want some coconuts on your tree, while painting the truck use some cardboard to make coconuts and paint them the same brown as the trunk.
- Gather your materials. You will need a paper towel roll, some newspaper, glue, masking tape, some extra cardboard, some pre cut letters, and green and brown paint.
- Start by having your child paint the newspaper with the green paint. I have my son paint 6 small pages ( they were half of a regular page each) , I just kept going until he lost interest.
- Let those dry.
- Paint the paper towel roll brown and let dry.
- Once dry layer the news paper so some of the painted sides face up and some face down.
- Roll and secure the bottom with masking tape.
- Cut along the newspaper until the masking tape. Do this 4-5 times .
- Put glue on the masking tape
- Stuff the newspaper, masking tape end first into the roll.
- Glue the pre cut letters on, don’t forget to ask your child what letters they are, or label them for the little guys!
- Oh and if you remember to add the coconuts, now would be a good time to do that!
Chicka Chicka ABC is a fantastic board book and shorter version of the longer book. My son loves this book and it’s the perfect amount of text for a toddler, the illustrations by Lois Ehlert are so bright and bold that even very young babies will respond to it! A must have for all bookshelves.
we so love chicka chicka boom boom! its fun and there are so many activities you can do with it and your LO its my book it sunday post for this week! you must have read my mind!:)
Good morning. Just wanted to let you know that you made it on to the Crafty Crow this morning. Go check it out.
The Katies says
This is such a cute idea. Would it be okay if we link to you when we post ideas for Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom? Love it!
There is a nice video of Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom on YouTube – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED4aZ3nAnw8. My kids love it. We’ll have to try making a coconut tree and see if our magnetic letters can climb up it!
Where was this site when I was a mom! I can’t wait to be a grandmother so I can use all the wonderful ideas you share! Keep up the good work! You are appreciated!