I was going to do President P for President’s Day but my son associates Obama with O and when we started talking about President he kept saying O , Obama. So I switched gears saved the cut out pictures of President Obama for another day and grabbed some pennies. The great thing is that pennies of course have a president on them as well! Obviously using coins is only for children that you know are not going to put things in their mouths.
- Gather your materials. You will need some cardboard, markers, glue, scissors and pennies!
- Start by drawing a P on your cardboard.
- Have your child decorate the P with markers or crayons, I would stay away from paint because you want the cardboard as dry as possible so it is strong for the pennies.
- Add the glue. The more the better so this is a great time to let your child have free reign . I showed my son where to glue then counted to 5 while he squeezed to get big dollops.
- Add your pennies. We had a little chat about who that is on the penny, and counted them. Let dry.
- Cut out the P .
There are a lot of President’s Day books out there but most are boring and lifeless, which bothers the historian in me, there are so many exciting things to teach about history but luckily I found this one.
Thanks for the book suggestion!! Looks like a great book for younger readers.
Creative and Curious Kids!
Great P activity…. Instead of pennies, I chose to do popcorn. Worked great, but he ate more popcorn than he put on the P. I LOVE this site! Thanks!
anne rockwell says
This is one of the best Mom blogs I’ve come across to date. And thanks for mentioning PRESIDENT’S DAY. My daughter and I are proud of it, and glad to read your praise!
Frances Vineyard says
We love pennies around here!! Going to use this!!
It was a bit of a stretch to have a President on the penny P but you know…
Anne- I am always so excited when authors pop by, your praise really means a lot , thank you!
Just wanted to let you know that you can color the pasta too! Just put in a glass jar add some food coloring and shake. When your done let it dry or pop in the oven for a few minutes. Then you can add purple pasta to your purple P! It woeks with ever color too have fun! Ydal
I guess i should have checked my spelling before posting! My fingers aren’t as fast as my brain!