I was trying to decide what to do for the letter v and my brainstorming produced 2 things, vulture and vase. There wasn’t really a competition, my son is familiar with vases and I wasn’t sure how to make a vulture in the shape of a V anyway. I think I made the right choice!
- Gather your materials. You will need 4 pieces of construction paper ( the green piece can be a small scrap), some markers or paint, scissors and glue.
- Start by drawing a large uppercase V, ours filled about 2/3 of the page.
- Hand the V to your child to decorate with paint or markers.
- While they paint, draw some flowers. If your child is able to have them draw the flowers.
- Paint the flowers.
- While they are putting their own mark on the flowers, cut out some stems from the green paper.
- Cut out the V when it’s dry.
- Cut out the flowers. I asked my son how many and to pick which flowers he wanted.
- Glue the V on with the stems underneath.
- Glue the flowers on and let dry.
“The Boy Who Grew Flowers” by Jennifer Wojtowicz is one of those books that stays with you. Rink is a little boy who’s family is strange, Rink is no exception, with every full moon he sprouts flowers , from his head. At school he is an outsider and only when a new girl comes to school does he make a friend. He reaches out to her because she too is an outsider, not at school, in her own family. In the end the kindred spirits celebrate their uniqueness. This odd romantic story will warm your heart and serves as a great lesson about how we all feel different and like an outsider sometimes. The illustrations by Steve Adams will stun you, they were so vibrant and paired so perfectly with the story. Wonderful!
The Harris Family says
Where do you get the dot art things?? I have only seen them at Lakeshore learning which is expensive! so I am wondering if anyone else has them or where we can get them at a better price. My son has aspergers and sensory issues this is a great alternative to sponge painting which he dosn't like to do because it gets on his hands.
Charlee- I got them at Micheal's they aren't cheap but every week Micheal's has a coupon in the paper for 40% off one item and I used that. I hope you can find them and he enjoys them.
Just popped in my head when I looked at the pic, but Violet are a flower and would work well with vase…
Also, I have seen the dot paints at WalMart every once in a while, usually early fall before school starts…
Okay, said my piece! As always, love the craft and adorable pictures of that sweet boy:)
I did this today, she loved it and then we went outside to pick some flowers to put in a real vase!