Back to School Craft – School of Fish !
While brainstorming for back to school activities to do I was focusing on “school” and this came to mind. I grabbed the paint and rolling pin and my son came running. I am not sure my son knows that a rolling pin is a kitchen utensil but I do know he loves painting with it. This is a long project we did it slowly over the whole day. It would be great for a group or classroom too!
- Before you begin, gather your materials. You will need a large piece of white paper, a few pieces of any other color construction paper, a marker, some bubble wrap, a rolling pin, paint ( blue and any other colors you want), glitter paint, glue, scissors, tape, a bowl, spoon, and googly eyes.
- To get started, mix your blue paint with the glitter. We used glitter glue but plain glitter will work as well.
- Finger paint it on the large piece of white paper. I showed my son how to make long finger “waves” to make it look like the ocean and we did that for a long time.
- While they finger paint, draw a bunch of fish on the other construction paper. I drew the fish because I wanted my son to know what he was painting but with older children I would have skipped drawing them and focus on getting cool prints and cut out the fish free hand once they were dry. For a toddler though a concrete obvious drawing of what we are making is important.
- Next, wrap the bubble wrap around the rolling pin bubbles out.
- Pour some paint on a large plate or mat . We used multiple colors of paint.
- Roll your wrapped rolling pin in it.
- Roll it on the paper with the fish.
- Keep going until your whole “school” is painted. Let dry.
- When the fish are dry cut out.
- Glue onto the ocean
- Finally, add googly eyes and let dry.
School of Fish