We were at the dollar store getting art mats ( the plastic place mats I use) when I spied these napkin rings. Perfect for beading when hands are still not nimble enough for smaller beads. This napkin ring necklace is a quick craft to make but one that is fun to play with long after. Make one for grandma or mama for Valentine’s day or use it as a basic patterning lesson.
- Gather your materials. You will need some napkin rings, ribbon and scissors.
- Start by cutting your ribbon into a piece long enough to comfortably fit over your child’s head.
- Tie one ring on to make a stopper for your rings. Make sure to leave enough room to have some ribbon to tie.
- Thread them on.
- Loop the last one through is you want, this is just a astetics thing for me I like them all squished together .
- Invite your child who announced that “I am too big for this craft.” to model the napkin ring necklace for all the “Other kid’s mommies”.
A Valentine For Norman Noggs by Valiska Gregory is quite cute, it is about a new girl in school who has caught the eye of all the boys. Norman hopes and dreams that she will look at him and fall in love, but all the other bigger, stronger boys seem to be catching her attention. He is kind to her in class though, offering help without being boastful and although he doesn’t notice she does notice him. When he is made fun of by the bigger boys about a Valentine he made her she comes to his rescue. I like that her character was strong but didn’t like that she physically hurt the other boys. This is a longer picture book, my son zoned in and out while reading it, but would be great for 4-5-year-olds.
If You’ll Be My Valentine by Cynthia Rylant is a great book for preschoolers because it doesn’t just focus on romantic love or love of a parent and child but rather love of all the things this little boy is grateful for. He writes little valentines to his family members, teddy bear, even the bird and tree outside. It’s very sweet and cute without making you cringe one bit! My son loved this one, it was perfect for a 3-year-old.