My plan was to make Saturn and start teaching my son about space but he asked if he could make planet Earth so I grabbed the shaving cream and this easy Earth Day craft is what we ended up making. What a hit! It’s so simple even young toddlers ( provided they are past the eating everything stage) could do this with minimal adult help. Saturn will get made sometime soon , he had so much fun making our planet and we still got to talk and learn about space.
- Gather your materials. You will need some shaving cream, white glue, green paint,scissors, a marker, blue paper, a spoon, and container or bowl.
- Start by mixing your paint. You will need 3 parts shaving cream to 1 part white glue, and green paint . Use as much green paint as you need to get the color you want.
- While they mix it up, draw a circle on your blue paper.
- Paint. It might get messy but it will definitely be fun!
- My son preferred to scoop the paint on to his hand and slap it down.
- While the paint was drying my son used the extra paint to make another painting !
- Let dry and cut out. The paint will dry puffy !
Books About Space !
The Activity Mom says
This is great! B just started showing interested in the planets. Can’t wait to see your Jupiter post.
3 parts shaving cream, 1 part white glue, + paint. Must remember that!
.-= Sam´s last blog ..Review- There was an old lady who swallowed a fly =-.
The paint makes it a little less puffy FYI so don’t add too too much , just enough for the color you want !
what a a wonderful idea!!! will definitely be trying this out 🙂
Oh my goodness, are you serious??? Homemade puffy paint? I heart this!
.-= Tiffany@LattesAndLife´s last blog ..Summer- Thou Art Long and Intolerable =-.
Teacher Cheryl says
We made an activity similar to this… we used shaving cream and glue, but we made ice cream instead! I love these ideas! Thanks for sharing them! 🙂
Here’s how ours went: http://www.littlerunningteacher.com/teaching/puffy-ice-cream/
LOVED This!!! And my 2 year old preschoolers did too! They liked painting & I loved the result! 🙂 I cut out their Earth & glued it on another paper…added God made the Earth. Genesis 1:1 & Happy Earth Day! I wish I’d taken pictures of the artists with their artwork!
Did a puffy paint project with my PreK class today – they absolutely loved it!!! Oh, it was messy, but so much fun! My assistant will probably kill me but I think I will have to make the Earth next week for the letter E!
Cindy deRosier says
I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:
If you have other kid friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!
I love the result of this activity! I am even planning to use same materials except for the blue paper to create something about nature…Will use the shaving cream as clouds!