This is one of my favorite Christmas party crafts we did ages ago adapted for Halloween. As my son pointed out it would also be fun for a Harry Potter party as it makes a great sorting hat craft. It’s a fun way to make something edible without baking.
- Gather your materials. You will need some one sugar cone, some black icing, halloween sprinkles ( ours are just orange and back non pareils), some gummy worms or other gross candy, a cupcake liner and spoon. I normally have my son help mix the food coloring if we are using it but black food color is notoriously stubborn to get out of anything ( like my hands… hours later) but by premixing it the mess with my son was minimal.
- Start by using the icing to “glue” the cone to the liner.
- Now cover the cone and liner with black icing. Have diaper wipes on hand I swear they have magic food coloring erasers, nothing wipes it up like wipes! Oh and see his lips… if you are doing this with a group give them individial cups of icing or there will be a lot of germ sharing.
- Add the sparkles.. I mean sprinkles, it’s habit to type sparkles !
- Add worms… eat one more than you were supposed to. See that little hand ? Baby girl was aching to have some sugar but she will have to wait til next year. Bummer.
- That’s it – super easy right?! It’s perfect for a fun Halloween party where kids are busy running around and don’t want to sit for too long to make something.
I was going to link to some books I have previously reviewed since we have not made it to the library lately but my friend Amy Kraft from Media Macaroni just posted a wonderful post about new Halloween Books – so run over there and see what’s new. I was giddy to see a new Todd Parr book!