Summertime is about being carefree, not worrying about the schedules that hold us back and the deadlines…. well that is what I wish summer was. Really it’s only sometimes like this but the day we made this it was. My son was playing with the neighbors and I grabbed this huge piece of cardboard, some paint and called them to the driveway. We had three kids 2, 5 and 7 years old all completely engaged, here is the super simple how to.
Painting with Nature
- Gather your materials. All you need is something to paint, paint, and a yard to find potential tools. Spread out some paint. We used a huge piece of cardboard but you can do this on a much smaller scale too.
- Tell the kids to find things to paint with.
- Paint! Both big kids went straight to the pine tree and made prints.
- My 2-year-old sat down in the paint with a rock and explored.
- They grabbed hydrangeas and snapdragons.
- Whipped paint with ferns.
- Made cool leaf and flower prints.
- Made a huge happy mess.
This was such a fantastic open and free art activity and seeing their faces light up as they said ” Oh I have an idea!” before running off to the yard to come back with a snap dragon or maple leaf was exhilarating. My 2 year old was covered in paint. I couldn’t get a picture because she grabs for the camera and I was worried she’d grab the lens. The paint soaked through her pants all the way to her diaper. She was in heaven, painting with nature. Memories were made with such a simple summer activity!