There Are Endless Ways To …

robot kids craft

We are taking a little break from Christmas things because I had to share this robot with you! Everyone likes to make silly things, this craft will keep creating long after the glue dries. All the pieces have magnets on them so your child can put them together however they feel like. Please please be careful with anything magnetic with kiddos that still put things in their mouths, do not let them play with it unattended!
  1. Gather your materials. You will need 1-4 foam sheets, I am using a sparkle one which you can buy in a single sheet at a craft store. You will also need scissors, glue, a marker, magnetic strips and a fridge or cookie sheet to play with.
  2. Start by drawing your robot pieces on the back of the sparkly foam sheet. I drew a square, 2 small rectangles, 2 wiggly legs, a large rectangle and a small neck piece that I ended up not using.
  3. Cut them out.
  4. Cut out some small foam pieces to make eyes, buttons and other decoration on the robot.
  5. Glue the foam pieces on. Let dry .
  6. Flip the robot parts over and add the magnetic strips.
  7. Create your funny robots! ** Edited to add this picture of my son who loved it, he ripped most of the foam off but created new robots on and off all day. **

Comments

1. Amber, That's Me! says

I love that sparkly foam. I have never seen it. I will have to keep a look out for it! Great idea- Thanks

Yep at Micheal’s you can get it in single sheets, I am trying only to use things you can get easily in the US and Canada.

I have to add the pic of my son playing with it, he wouldn’t let me put it away all day.

3. Gabriele says

Oh too cute! We will have to do this one. We did Space the week before last, and it would have been perfect! We are obsessed with Wall-E right now though, so I am sure this will be a hit no matter when we do it :D Thanks!!

4. Deb_in_oz says

that is awesome – i don’t think we have sparkly foam in Australia but you can bet i will be on the hunt for it

5. Mom, M.Ed. says

Just saw this one. Can’t wait to try it with my son–he’s four and I know he’ll like making new robots!

6. Tasha says

Just finished making this for ds will have to wait and see what he thinks of it tomorrow. Thought afterwards I could of had him put the eyes extra on! oh well I’m sure he’ll love it completed too. I needed this craft when he turned three – we had a robot party at his request. Thanks :-)

7. Aprille says

I just wanted to say thanks for the GREAT idea! We did this activity for my son’s “Transformer” party since they are “Transformable” robots. The kids came up with some really cute variations and had an adorable craft to take home.

8. admin says

What a great idea! I am going to have to tweet about that! I loved anything like this that I could customize as a kid and love that my son is so into it too!

1. […] was inspired by No Time for Flash Cards but took her idea one step further and made a Build-Your-Robot […]