Letter Of The Week ! R r !

Rainbow R !

My son is so into rainbows right now, I have no clue why but I am running with it! Doing anything with rainbows is a great opportunity to talk about many colors, patterns and with older children optical illusions. My 2 year old won’t be learning about that for a while but we have been chatting about colors all day.

1. Gather your materials. You will need multiple pages of construction paper, however you don’t need the whole page, so you may be able to round up enough from your scrap pile. The colors you will needs are red, orange yellow, green, blue and purple. Also you will need a back piece, a plain white sheet of regular paper , scissors, black marker and glue.
  2. Start by making a big R outlined in black marker on a thin white piece of paper, it needs to be thin so after you finish the gluing you can see the outline for cutting.
  3. Cut the colored paper into strips, we needed 2 of each color, I just stacked the paper and cut .
  4. Add the glue, this is a great opportunity to let your child do the glue since it needs to be all over and not precise at all.
  5. Start stacking the strips, I did the first few then handed them to my son to glue on, he yelled out the color and we had fun. Normally I wouldn’t have played such a large role, but I knew he would love the end result. If he had insisted I would have been fine with just letting him go too, let them decide.
  6. Let the strips dry on the R.
  7. When dry cut it out following the lines on the back.
  8. Glue onto a piece of construction paper.

Additional Activities

You can’t have a rainbow without water!
Check out my latest contribution to

to learn more about why when your child is playing with water they are doing much more than just making a mess in your kitchen !

Comments

1. Sarah says

I just discovered your website from the Crafty Crow. It’s wonderful!!! So many great ideas! I can’t wait to use some of them with my preschooler.

Thanks!

2. Erin says

We are VERY into rainbows right now, and our favorite rainbow book is called

“Duckie’s Rainbow” and is written Frances Barry. check it out at your library, it is a great book!

3. *~*Lis*~* says

Awesome!!! Now when I get to R I’ll have a choice of activities – I’ll let Lorelei decide since I’d never be able to pick just one :)

4. Jeremiah and Lindsey Kindy says

i have been checking out your blog for a while now and i was wondering if you had any craft ideas for our kids… my bro-in-law is coming home from Dubai this weekend and we are making banners to greet him with at the airport, but we are looking for somethings to decorate the house with… any suggestions… of course we want to use RED WHITE and BLUE. thanks for any help!

Lindsey- I left some ideas on your blog!

Erin – Thanks for the book recommendation!

Kidletsmum – I thought the same thing!

Sarah and Lis – glad you liked the craft my son really did too.

6. jk says

Another great craft to do to help learn our letters around here – thank you! My daughter in particular will like make the rainbow stripes…