Leprechaun Craft – Make A Beard

beard craft

When I was brainstorming St. Patrick’s Day ideas I thought why not make a leprechaun beard! You can find hats for nothing at big box stores but no where had any beards. Here is an easy tutorial for your older leprechaun in training. My son was sleeping when I made this but has played with it numerous times since it’s creation, though it’s more of a monster mask on him!

1. Gather your materials. You will need 3 pieces of construction paper, one for the base and 2 bright orange for the hair. Some yarn, scissors, a pencil, glue and a hole punch.
  2. Start by drawing a beard on the paper, I put it up to my face and measured from ear to ear.
  3. Cut out .
  4. For the hair you want to cut the orange construction paper into strips
  5. Roll them tightly around the pencil to make a curl.
  6. Glue them to the beard, starting at the bottom
  7. Keep going
  8. Let dry
  9. Punch holes for the yarn
  10. Add the yarn for the ties
  11. put it on !

Comments

1. Jennifer says

That is a great idea. My seven year old liked your picture, so I think we’ll be doing it later today.

My sister bought me the coat,when I put it on she was like you need it- It looks much better when I have make up on and no weird orange beard!

3. Maryann says

Allie, you are just way too creative! How, how, how do you come up with these things? Want to come to my house and teach the boys everything you know?

4. Where's The Aspirin? says

Cute idea. I just might have to make my kids into leprechauns this week. They will love it! Then again, after last years leprechaun ‘scare’ they might reject anything leprechaun.

I played leprechaun last year and made mischief happen around the house including making a little mess in their room and leaving them gold coins, which they loved but later my then 4 year old was afraid to be alone for fear of a leprechaun. The best laid plans. :)

I love the leprechaun ideas ! I think it’s a shame I can’t grow a real beard, I think it suits me. My husband disagrees.

6. The Holmes Crew says

Thanks so much for this idea! My boys made the beards and we made a hat! It was great and they are lovin’ wearin’ them today! As a homeschoolining mother, I just LOVE your blog!

7. kiko says

Hello! I came here via “The Crafty Crow”. I made this with my daughter today and it was so much fun! May I post the link on my blog?

8. Judy T. says

In response to Where’s the Aspirin’s note re: leprechaun scare: Last year my 4-year-old came home from school with a story about a “cheetah” who had sneaked in and turned the frosting on their cupcakes green. That was a new one on me — cheetahs on St. Paddy’s Day? A few days later he was telling the story again, only this time they were visited by a “leopard-chaun!”

9. Angela says

Love this idea! Used it for my son last night as he wanted to be Yosemite Sam for favorite cartoon character for Spirit Week at school. Thanks for your sharing your creativity! (also pinned on Pinterest!)

10. Christina says

I love all your craft ideas and your book reviews! This is the first place I come to when looking for new books to read. I was disappointed, though, to not find many St. Patrick’s day reviews (the couple I did find we’re not positive). I was wondering if you’ve read any recently or have any good suggestions. One book I found that I like is “Fiona’s Luck” by Teresa Bateman. My kids are 7, 5, 3, and 1. Thanks!

I did this beard with a whole classroom of 2nd graders today (found it when someone else pinned it on Pinterest) and we had so much fun! Thanks for such a darling idea!

• Allison McDonald says

Thank you, your little leprechauns are precious! I love it when people can see the silliness that permeated this post.

1. [...] how to make it: Make your own Leprechaun Beard Tweet (function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if [...]

2. […] Draw a beard on paper. Cut out orange construction paper into strips and roll them around a pencil tightly to make them curl. Glue the curls to the beard starting at the bottom. Punch holes in the sides, and attach yarn so you can tie the yarn around the back of your head. There you go, you have a great orange leprechaun beard from No Time for Flashcards! […]