Yarn Easter Egg Craft

yearn easter egg craft for kids
I know this is very similar to the nest I did, I actually made this weeks before I did the nest but have been waiting to post it. I saw this years ago in a book at a rec center I worked at, it was worth the wait, I love how it turned out. This is a fun craft for school aged kids home for spring break or preschoolers with some patience. I didn’t bother trying to have my son help, his love of eating glue would have been in overdrive I’m sure.

1. Gather your materials. You will need glue, yarn , a balloon and some ribbon.
  2. Blow up your balloon a little ways and tie it.
  3. Cut some yarn in about 12 inch pieces. For this craft I used about 20 , 12″ pieces total.
  4. Mix your glue with a tiny bit of water if you want, this made it easier to soak the yarn but it took longer to dry. Either way works- just don’t dilute it too much.
  5. Start drenching the yarn in the glue
  6. Laying it on the balloon. Criss cross it over the whole thing.
  7. Keep going…and going.
  8. When you feel it’s done let it dry , I prefer to let it dry by hanging it from a rack with a clothes pin. That way it’s not touching anything and won’t get stuck.
  9. When it’s dry carefully pop the balloon, and fish it out of the egg.
  10. Add your ribbon!yarn ee

Comments

1. Amanda says

I did this craft when I was a kid! We did a bigger balloon and COVERED it in the string. When it dried my mom took some sharp scissors to the front of it to cut out an egg shaped hole. She hung the string egg from the handle on our Easter baskets and filled it with Easter grass.(I hope that makes sense!) Then the Easter bunny filled it with chocolates!

Thank you so much for the award, I’ll pop over and check out your blog :)

Amanda – that is awesome , how cool!

3. Amy from Occupation: Mommy says

I love this craft! I will definitely be doing it with my older two daughters (6.5 and 4.5). Thanks!

4. Tonya says

So cute! I bet you could also make an easter basket this way too similar to the bird’s nest you made but with a handle over the top?…I might have to try that soon! Thanks!

5. susanigan's says

I really enjoy your site. I use your songs with my son. And I like the look of this…we will have to try it. Thanks for all your help entertaining my son!!

6. Making of a Montessori Mum says

Oh thats great. Is now on my ‘To Do list. Also great for Christmas tree i imagine. Thanks.

7. Evenspor says

We did this when I was a kid too. We made big ones and cut a hole in the front to use it as an easter basket.

8. Valerie says

These are so cool! I’ll be saving this one for a special treat for my kiddos! Gotta go get more balloons, lol.

Blessings,

Valerie

9. The Beautiful Kind says

This is awesome! Found your site via stumble. You should link back to your nest post in this egg post, tho your search worked well. Will def do these with my daughter!! YAY SPRING!

10. Anonymous says

I think this is an adorable craft. Unfortunately, when trying to make it the yarn kept falling off even when I used more glue and again using less glue. Any tips?

Oh no- I would try with longer pieces of yarn, use straight glue ( no water) and make sure the yarn is wet but not dripping.

If you try again let me know how it goes.

12. feefifoto says

I used to do this at summer camp with a flour and water mixture (I was one of those crafty-please-let-me-stay-indoors campers.)

13. writer~at~heart says

really interesting and creative! keep up the good work….and check out mindspillerpoems.blogspot.com!!

14. Crafty Mom says

Is there a way so that the glue mixture does not stick so well to the balloon as it dries? I’ve been trying this but I get a wrinkled look when I pop the balloon.

• Allison McDonald says

How long are you waiting before popping it? I would try making sure it’s completely dry. Then wait another day. You could also try cutting the glue with water.

• Crafty Mom says

Ok, I’ll wait longer.

What do you mean by cutting the glue with water?

I’m prepping for this project so that I can do it with 29 little 6/7 year old crafters. Any means to prepare ahead (or after), I’ll take.

• Allison McDonald says

If you are using white glue just add a drop or two of water in it and stir. I think that will still be strong enough for the yarn but help ease off sticking to the balloon.

1. […] Naptime Creation- Caution Fragile | No Time For Flash Cards fun to do with the boys (tags: crafty) […]

2. […] yarn with glue! This is where the craft started to take new shape. Attempt 1 :To make a yarn-shaped balloon like I found on No Time For FlashCards. Once Henry started placing the yarn over the balloon, I […]