Spring Fling Day 4 ~ Bloom !

crafts from around the world

Growing up I always looked forward to the “pink trees” and the days when the wind would blow the petals down onto the ground where we could kick them up and watch them fall again. In our neighborhood the trees are starting to bloom and after a long walk past many “pink trees” we came home to make this.

1. Gather your materials. You’ll need some cardboard ( if I did this again I would use a paper bag instead of a glossy cereal box , it was hard to glue) , 2 shades of pink tissue paper, scissors, glue, brown paint and a sheet of blue construction paper.
  2. Start by drawing a bare tree on the cardboard.
  3. Next have your child paint the tree brown, crayons or markers would work great too.
  4. While they paint cut the tissue paper into small squares.
  5. Let the paint dry and hand your child the tissue paper square to crumple. Be warned that for days after my son has asked to crumple many many things around the house.
  6. Cut the tree out and glue onto the construction paper. I had to hold down the cardboard for a few seconds because of the glossy side not wanting to glue.
  7. Add glue to the tree top , I flipped it upside down for my son so it was easier to reach.
  8. Add the blossoms! Whether you add a few or many it will look beautiful!
Books !

“The Falling Flowers” by Jennifer B. Reed is the perfect book for this craft ! I was a little too loud when I found it at the library, my son told me to shhh! The story is very sweet, it’s about a grandmother taking her young granddaughter on a surprise outing in Tokyo. It turns out that she is taking her to see the cherry trees in full bloom just as her grandmother had done with her.
“Suki’s Kimono” by Chieri Uegaki has been on my shelf for years. I really really like this book, the message is fantastic! Suki loves her Kimono, she doesn’t care that her sisters think it’s not cool to wear it to school, her grandma gave it to her and she likes it. I love that she is depicted as confident but not 100% sure of herself, it allows readers to really connect, recognizing those times when we are putting up a brave face even if inside we aren’t so sure. It’s a lovely book!

Comments

1. Vone says

I love these trees. Great project, I think I’ll save it for when we see them bloom here.
    Today we made a rainbow cat. I love what kids come up with.

2. clayandrachelle says

What are those little paint, dotty things called? and where did you find them? My mother-in-law has them and my daughter loves them. Your projects make me want to get some! I am using your website to start learning letters with my 2 year old. Thanks for sharing all of your creativity!!

They are called Do-A-Dot Art Dobbers. I got them at Micheal’s , make sure you have a 40% off coupon they are pricey but last a long time!

4. The Bailey Family says

Love this! I will have to do this with my almost-3-yr-old. We live in Macon, GA, home to over 300,000 cherry trees, all in bloom right now. So beautiful! Thanks for this wonderful idea! I just love your blog and check it every day for fun projects to do with my little guy!

5. our family says

We are taking my girls to Washington DC in two weeks to see the Cherry Blossoms so we will be certainly making this project. I just have to decide if it is better to do it before or after our trip.

6. Teri says

beautiful! My co-worker (at preschool) does a similar project where she makes a vase out of wallpaper (on paper), glues it down to a contrasting piece & then draws "stems" coming out of it. The kids crumple yellow tissue & glue it down (to resemble forsythia) and puffed rice cereal (to resemble pussy willows). It looks cute

7. Teri says

PS – you can also get the dot markers somewhat cheaper at CVS (or other similar stores – CVS has store-brand ones), sold as bingo markers.

8. Tanya says

Pretty! I also have a 2yr old and didn’t realize that she was old enough to crumble and glue tissue on like that. Can’t wait to try it with her.

About the paint daubers – I have the Do-A-Dot brand also, but find them hard to wash off. Guess I got spoiled with the Crayola markers that come clean w/ just a baby wipe. They are also called bingo daubers, and I saw some at Dollar Tree yesterday.

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your project! You can see it here:

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!