Yarn Bird Nest Craft

nest craft for kids

The seasons are changing and here at No Time For Flash Cards we are celebrating longer days, warmer weather and the pretty colors spring brings all week long. I hope you join us , we have some awesome activities coming including a giveaway so stay tuned! This yarn bird nest craft is not a toddler project but older children four and up will love it .

1. Gather your materials. You will need a balloon, barely inflated, some brown yarn, scissors, a dish, white glue and some blue malt ball candies.
  2. Cut our yarn into 4 inch strands. In all I had about 25 strands.
  3. Dip into the glue
  4. Place it on the balloon. I like doing it on the tied end because when you are done you can clip it to a hanger by the tie to let it dry. You want it to be random and only part way up the balloon.
  5. Keep going. Criss cross all over, layer it, zig zag etc… Oh and yes this is very messy, but worth it.
  6. Let dry for at least 24 hours. You can hang it to dry by clipping it to a wire hanger, or you can also place it in a bowl or glass just be careful not to let the yarn touch the dish , it may stick to it.
  7. Pop the balloon and throw the balloon away- please please be careful with latex balloons and little kids , it’s terrifying what can happen when the two mix.
  8. Add your “eggs” and enjoy.
What I love so much about this isn’t just the aesthetics but many people don’t celebrate Easter and this is a way of making a fun springtime treat using the candies that are EVERYWHERE this time of year.
Like this post? Share it with a friend!

Become an Email Subscriber

Sign up above and receive all new No Time for Flashcards posts directly in your email inbox.

You may also like these posts

zinna's garden51F3V5736GL._SL500_AA240_birds-011

40 Comments

1. theworldismysoyster says

I am an unschooling mom of three young children and I always love scouring your blog for new ideas. I have used quite a few already and this nest one is definately going on my list!
    And since your little one seems about the same age as my oldest it’ll be wonderful for me to use your everchanging array of activities for years!

2. Beth says

3. Beverly says

This is very cute! I do want to comment that it is unnecessary for you to keep bringing up the “some people don’t celebrate Easter” thing. It’s almost like you are trying to be too PC. If you celebrate it, then “celebrate” that, and don’t worry about offending people. Those who don’t want to do the craft won’t.
    Thanks for all the wonderful ideas (from a Mom who loves celebrating Easter).

Beverly I appreciate your opinion but I disagree.

I am not trying to be politically correct , but I do try to make sure that my blog is inclusive and doesn’t make assumptions about what my readers do or don’t celebrate.

I pointed out that this is a cute craft for those who don’t celebrate Easter because as a teacher I was always looking for secular crafts .

5. Beth says

LOVE this!! We are starting a Spring theme next week and will be using this idea!! I also think we will make these for our preschool teachers as an Easter treat!

We do celebrate Easter, but what a neat way for those that don’t to still have fun eating the yummy treats!!

6. Fairion says

I love this idea. This is truly a simple craft that the kids can really get into. We don’t celebrate Easter and finding fun easy spring crafts that do not scream Easter is hard. Thank you for sharing this idea.

I love how this craft could be turned into a great toy for imaginative play. My daughter has blown eggs she plays with from our nature table, and this would be a great addition to the table. she has been creating nests all over the house for her eggs, so this would be a fun craft for her.