Giddy Up !

Cowboy Sheriff’s
Vest !

Who wants to be the bad guy? You’ll need someone to do something naughty so your little Sheriff can rope ‘em in and lock ‘em up ! My son loves Woody, he goes everywhere with us so it was only a matter of time before he’d show up here too.

1. Gather your materials. You will need a brown grocery store bag, some markers or paint, scissors, some yellow paint or glitter, and tape.
  2. Start by cutting your arm holes and the bag so it lays flat – now this won’t make the perfect vest , a better one is done by not cutting off the top and making a semi circle at the neck and arm holes, however it’s hard for toddlers to paint, and if you want the store logos on the inside you’ll have to cut it like this.
  3. Have your child color or paint their vest.
  4. While they are coloring , trace or draw a star
  5. When they are done hand them the star and have them paint or glitter it in yellow or gold.
  6. Trim the ends of the vest so it makes a neck.
  7. Cut out the star and glue on the right side. Let dry.
  8. Try on and make adjustments, we needed bigger arm holes and we took in the back.
  9. To take in the back simply fold the extra paper in on itself and tape.
  10. Pop it on and go find those naughty guys!
Books

” Cowboy Slim “ by Julie Danneberg is a touching story about a cowboy who just doesn’t fit in. He writes poetry and is proud of it at first until someone calls it sissy. Then he fails and fails and fails again at all the things that “real cowboys” can do. When the herd is in danger though Slim saves the day with his rhymes! This book was too long for my son at 2 to enjoy but 4-5 year olds would be perfect for this length of book as well as the message about putting other people’s interests down and why it’s okay to be different even if others don’t get it.

“Cowboy Small”
by Lois Lenski is a cute cowboy book for the younger set. We have the board book edition and it’s been loved for a long time at our house. The text is simple, the drawings are charming and the book covers all the basics of what a cowboys does day and night.

Comments

1. Carebear says

Adorable craft – one of my faves! My little Beast is really into Woody from Toy Story, so this is a must try for us. Thanks!

2. Trisha says

This looks great! We enjoy cowboy stories at our house. I am especially fond of “Cowboy Bunnies”. (“Cowboy bunnies, wake up early, ride their ponies…”)

We finally made the shape garbage truck the other day. It was a big hit!

3. Shelley @ My Treasure Hunt says

Wanted to let you know that I linked to your blog in my post today…thanks for all the great ideas!!

4. Heather - CROQZine.com - Dollarstorecrafts.com says

Great idea!! My mom had some craft encyclopedias from the 70s when I was a kid, and one of the projects was paper bag costumes. I always loved those!

Yay! I am glad you all like it, for older kids I would cut it so there are pieces over the shoulders but my son is still happy ,so maybe I’m just being too much of a perfectionist, if it works …

Heather I bet my mom had the same one !

6. Andersons Mommy says

This is super cute! My son loves to play dress up, the only thing is that he ends up destroying the craft. This seems simple, and I wont be so regretful of spending time on it after her tears it up. Now I have to find a paper bag…any ideas?

Sorry for the lack of apostrphes! That key on my computer is missing due to my 1yo :(